THUNDER BAY – The charge is murder. Charges have been laid in the latest homicide in Thunder Bay. A suspect is in custody, twenty year old Mitchell Adam Soloman Suganaqueb. The murder was the sixth murder that happened during 2012.
Suganaqueb is charged with 2nd Degree Murder in connection with the death of 25 year old Desmond Dennis Matthews.
Suganqueb was taken into custody by the Criminal Investigations Branch of the Thunder Bay Police Service at a bus stop on Academy Drive on Jaunary 9th at 4:20PM. He has appeared in court, and was remanded to the Thunder Bay District Jail with a court date of January 21, 2013.
The investigation is still ongoing. The second injured male from the Villa Street incident remains in critical condition.
Classification of murder
- 231. (1) Murder is first degree murder or second degree murder.
- Marginal note:Planned and deliberate murder
- (2) Murder is first degree murder when it is planned and deliberate.
- Marginal note:Contracted murder
- (3) Without limiting the generality of subsection (2), murder is planned and deliberate when it is committed pursuant to an arrangement under which money or anything of value passes or is intended to pass from one person to another, or is promised by one person to another, as consideration for that other’s causing or assisting in causing the death of anyone or counselling another person to do any act causing or assisting in causing that death.
Marginal note:Murder of peace officer, etc.
(4) Irrespective of whether a murder is planned and deliberate on the part of any person, murder is first degree murder when the victim is
- (a) a police officer, police constable, constable, sheriff, deputy sheriff, sheriff’s officer or other person employed for the preservation and maintenance of the public peace, acting in the course of his duties;
- (b) a warden, deputy warden, instructor, keeper, jailer, guard or other officer or a permanent employee of a prison, acting in the course of his duties; or
- (c) a person working in a prison with the permission of the prison authorities and acting in the course of his work therein.