THUNDER BAY – Its time for apples. These tasty treats are an Ontario favourite. While many people can’t wait for a tasty apple pie, if you want a fast and new treat, try this tasty recipe from Foodland Ontario for Apple Pizza.
This sweet pizza is a hit for snacking, dessert or breakfast!.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 30 minutes
- 1 650 g pizza dough (or recipe for large dough)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 3 cups (750 mL) thinly sliced peeled Ontario Apples (such as Empire, McIntosh, Cortland)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) golden raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) semisweet or milk chocolate chips
Cinnamon Icing (recipe follows):
Press or roll pizza dough into 12-inch (30 cm) circle; place on pizza pan or large baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Brush 1-inch (2.5 cm) edge of dough with a little of the melted better. In small bowl, mix sugar with cinnamon; sprinkle 1 tbsp (15 mL) over buttered edge.
In medium bowl, toss apples with remaining butter and sugar mixture until well coated. Arrange over dough just inside sugar edging. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 20 minutes.
Sprinkle with raisins, pecans and chocolate chips; bake for 10 minutes or until apples are tender and edge of dough is lightly browned. Let cool slightly; cut into wedges. If desired, drizzle with Cinnamon Icing.
Cinnamon Icing: In small bowl, mix 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar with 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon; stir in 1 tbsp (15 mL) milk.
- Protein: 7 grams
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrate: 56 grams
- Calories: 334
- Fibre: 4 grams
Of course its true. “Good things grow, in Ontario!”