Today, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh made the following statement about the developing situation in the Middle East:
OTTAWA – POLITICS – “As the situation in the Middle East continues to quickly change and Donald Trump calls for more NATO involvement in the region, Canadians deserve to know what Canada’s role in the region is and what kind of missions and danger our troops are facing.
When the Prime Minister addresses Canadians this afternoon, he needs to answer some basic and important questions.
- Since Donald Trump’s actions have changed the situation so much, what’s the plan going forward for the Canadian-led NATO mission?
- Why are our troops still on the ground in the region?
- What are they doing while the mission is on hold?
- Why are we still part of Operation IMPACT? We need to get Canadians out of this mission now.
- Will the Prime Minister call the House of Commons back in session so Canadians can see a full discussion on Canada’s role in this conflict that Donald Trump has made so much more volatile?
Prime Minister Trudeau should not have renewed Stephen Harper’s support for the American-led Operation IMPACT when he did. If it was ever a truly training focused mission, it isn’t anymore.
If the Prime Minister has any plans to continue or expand Canada’s military role in the region, he cannot make that decision on his own or behind closed doors. That’s why we’re calling on the government to call the House of Commons back as soon as possible. All Canadians deserve to have their voices heard through their MPs so we can benefit from Canada’s reputation for building peace and so we can send a strong message against following Donald Trump down this dangerous path and possible war.”