THUNDER BAY – WEATHER – Environment Canada has heat warning in effect across the western and parts of the northern reaches of Northwestern Ontario.
Heat Warning in effect for:
- Pikangikum – Poplar Hill – MacDowell
- Sandy Lake – Weagamow Lake – Deer Lake
- Dryden – Vermilion Bay
- Ignace – English River
- Sioux Lookout – Savant Lake
- Ear Falls – Perrault Falls – Western Lac Seul
- Red Lake – Woodland Caribou Park
A south wind will continue to bring hot and humid conditions to Northwestern Ontario. Daytime highs will be again near 30 degrees Celsius with humidex values in the high thirties. The heat is forecast to persist until Saturday when a cold front moves through the region.
Watch for symptoms of heat illness, which include
– dizziness or fainting, nausea or vomiting
– rapid breathing and heartbeat
– extreme thirst and
– decreased urination with unusually dark yellow urine.
If you experience any of these symptoms during extreme heat, immediately move to a cool place and drink liquids. Water is best.
Heat warnings are issued when very high temperature or humidity conditions are expected to pose an elevated risk of heat illnesses, such as heat stroke or heat exhaustion.