Canada Day Long Weekend Weather Synopsis: Sunshine, Showers, and Celebrations

9062
Canada's Progress at the FIFA Women's World Cup

A Diverse Weather Spread Across Canadian Cities

THUNDER BAY – WEATHER – The Canada Day outlook varies across the country. Here is an overview of conditions. Be sure to celebrate with sobriety if you are driving or boating.

Nothing would make for a dark turn to a long weekend like an impaired charge or worse a collision caused by intoxication.

Vancouver: Mixed Skies with a Chance of Showers

In Vancouver, the Canada Day weekend begins with a mix of sun and clouds. Expect a few showers ending in the afternoon with a high of 21°C, warming to 24°C inland. Humidity levels will make it feel like 26°C inland, and the UV index is moderate at 5. Tonight, the skies will be partly cloudy, with a low of 13°C. Canada Day itself will be sunny with a high of 20°C, and the night will be clear, dropping to 12°C. Tuesday will bring a mix of sun and clouds with a high of 20°C.

Calgary: From Sun to Thunderstorms

Calgary will experience a mix of sun and clouds today with a 30 percent chance of showers in the afternoon and a risk of thunderstorms. The high will reach 20°C, feeling warmer with the sun’s presence. Winds from the south will gust up to 40 km/h in the afternoon. Tonight will be mainly cloudy with early evening showers and a low of 12°C. Canada Day will be cloudy with a 60 percent chance of showers, a high of 20°C, and a low of 12°C at night. Tuesday will bring a mix of sun and clouds with a high of 21°C.

Saskatoon: Sunshine Before Showers

Saskatoon will bask in the sun today, with the high reaching 23°C and a UV index of 7. Tonight, expect clear skies and a low of 10°C. Canada Day will start sunny, but clouds will roll in by the afternoon, bringing a 60 percent chance of showers and a risk of thunderstorms. Winds will be strong from the south, gusting to 50 km/h. The high will be 22°C. Showers will continue into the night, with a low of 14°C. Tuesday will remain wet with showers and a high of 21°C.

Winnipeg: Sunny with Rain on the Horizon

Winnipeg will enjoy a sunny day today with a high of 22°C and a UV index of 7. Tonight will be clear with increasing cloudiness by morning and a low of 13°C. Canada Day will start mainly cloudy, with rain and thunderstorms expected later in the day. The high will be 18°C, and winds will gust up to 60 km/h from the southeast. The night will bring more showers with a low of 15°C. Tuesday will see continued rain and a high of 22°C.

Kenora: Sunny to Stormy

Kenora will have sunny skies today, reaching a high of 22°C with a high UV index of 6. Tonight will be clear with a low of 11°C. Canada Day will become cloudy in the morning, with a 60 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Winds will be strong, gusting up to 50 km/h from the south, and the high will be 22°C. Showers will continue into the night with a low of 15°C. Tuesday will remain wet with showers and a high of 23°C.

Sioux Lookout: From Clear to Cloudy

Sioux Lookout will have a sunny day today with a high of 22°C and a UV index of 6. Tonight will be clear with a low of 10°C. Canada Day will start sunny but will see increasing cloudiness by noon and a 60 percent chance of showers with a risk of thunderstorms late in the afternoon. Winds will be gusty, reaching 50 km/h from the south. The high will be 22°C. Showers will continue into the night, with a low of 14°C. Tuesday will bring more showers with a high of 21°C.

Thunder Bay: Breezy and Bright

Thunder Bay will enjoy sunny skies today with a high of 23°C and a moderate UV index of 6. Tonight will be clear with a low of 7°C. Canada Day will be sunny with northwest winds becoming light by the afternoon. The high will be 22°C. The night will see clear skies with a low of 12°C. Showers are expected on Tuesday with a high of 21°C and continued cloudy periods into the night with a low of 14°C.

The City of Thunder Bay invites community members and visitors to Marina Park on Monday, July 1, 2024, for Canada Day on the Waterfront.

Everyone is welcome to attend a Sunrise Ceremony at 6 am, and the main events from 1 pm to 6 pm.  Canada Day on the Waterfront is presented by Ontario Power Generation – Power for Change Project.

The Sunrise Ceremony begins at dawn near the Taiji Park in Marina Park and is open to everyone. The main events begin in the afternoon and will feature cultural performances, including dance and live music, as well as food vendors and artisans. Attendees can also enjoy interactive activities including art projects, face painting, outdoor games, and more. Opening ceremonies begin on the Main Stage at 1 pm, and the Second Stage performances start at 1:30 pm. The event closes with a much-anticipated performance from Juno Award-winning musician Aysanabee, who takes the stage from 5 pm to 6 pm.

Canada Day on the Waterfront is an opportunity to come together to celebrate, embrace and honour the diversity of our community. Attendees are encouraged to bring blankets and chairs to comfortably enjoy the day’s activities. Parking is free in all City of Thunder Bay parking lots for the statutory holiday. Limited accessible parking is available for those with valid permits by entering through the Pearl Street entrance.  No personal fireworks, alcohol, smoking, or vaping are permitted at Marina Park during the event.

EVENT SCHEDULE:

Main Stage – Presented by Ontario Power Generation 

Master of Ceremonies Ron Kanutski

  • 1:00 pm Opening Ceremonies
  • 1:30 pm Curubande Band (Salsa Orchestra) with Italian Touch Latin Dance
  • 3:30 pm African Choir
  • 4:00 pm Collaboration Project- Persons Unknown
  • 5:00 pm Aysanabee
Second Stage

Master of Ceremonies Mx Molly Poppins

  • 1:30 pm – Thunder Bay World Dance Collective
  • 2:00 pm – Thunder Bay Chinese Music and Dance Troupe
  • 2:30 pm – Filipino-Canadian Association of Thunder Bay
  • 3:00 pm – Mariachi Rio Rojo Band
  • 3:35 pm – Arabella Middle Eastern Dance Academy
  • 4:05 pm – Thai Healing Centre Dance Troupe
  • 4:30 pm – World Cultural Dance
Park-Wide Programming
  • Food vendors
  • Artisans
  • Bubble station
  • Outdoor games
  • Sunrise Ceremony
  • Sacred fire
  • Splash Pad
  • Thunder Bay Clown Club – face painting & balloon animals
  • Crafts with CAHEP & the Thunder Bay Art Gallery
  • Outdoor activities with Healthy Kids

Sault Ste. Marie: Clear Skies Turning Wet

Sault Ste. Marie will have cloudy skies today with a 40 percent chance of showers early, clearing in the afternoon. The high will be 16°C, with gusty north winds. Tonight will be clear with a low of 8°C. Canada Day will be sunny with northwest winds becoming light in the afternoon and a high of 23°C. The night will be clear with a low of 12°C. Showers are expected on Tuesday with a high of 21°C, continuing into the night with a low of 15°C.

Greater Sudbury: Cloudy and Clear

Greater Sudbury will start the day cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers, clearing by the afternoon with a high of 17°C. Tonight will be clear with a low of 10°C. Canada Day will be mainly sunny, becoming cloudy by the afternoon with a 60 percent chance of showers late in the day and a high of 24°C. The night will be clear with a low of 12°C. Tuesday will bring more showers with a high of 24°C and a low of 15°C at night.

Toronto: Breezy with Mixed Skies

Toronto will experience mainly cloudy skies today with a 30 percent chance of showers or drizzle in the morning, clearing by the afternoon. The high will reach 22°C with gusty northwest winds. Tonight will be partly cloudy with a low of 13°C. Canada Day will be sunny with a high of 25°C, and the night will be clear with a low of 14°C. Tuesday will remain sunny with a high of 25°C and cloudy periods at night with a low of 18°C.

Previous articlePGA TOUR Americas: Second-Round Highlights from ATB Classic at Northern Bear Golf Club
Next articleVancouver Weather Forecast: Showers and Sunshine Ahead