October 23, 2020 – Western and Northern Ontario Weather Outlook

507
Weather Update

THUNDER BAY – WEATHER – It is a mostly typical late October day today. Cool temperatures and a chance of snow flurries.

For the far western and northern regions of Ontario, a weather system in Manitoba could impact air travel and remote fly-in communities. There is a snow squall warning in effect for:

  • Berens River
  • Bloodvein
  • Little Grand Rapids and Atikaki Prov. Park

Environment Canada says snow squalls are expected. Under the snow squall bands, visibilities will be significantly reduced due to the heavy snow combined with blowing snow, and snow will quickly accumulate.

The cold air mass combined with winds off the waters of Lake Winnipeg will create a favorable setup for snowsqualls. From 20-30 centimeters of snow are possible due to this weather system.

Thunder Bay

Early this morning, in Thunder Bay it is -1c, but it feels cooler. Gloves are likely a great idea if you are headed out. Environment Canada predicts a daytime high of +2c. There is a 30 percent chance of snow flurries this morning. Winds are calm.

For Friday night, expect partly cloudy conditions, with winds of up to 15 km/h and a low of -4c. A perfect evening for some Netflix or Apple TV binge-watching.

For Saturday, the weather service says there will be a mix of sun and cloud in the morning but skies will clear near noon. The daytime high will be +2c with a morning wind chill making it feel like -7C.

Sioux Lookout

It is a cool -4c in Sioux Lookout to start Friday off. Skies are mainly cloudy, and there is a 60 percent chance of flurries this afternoon. Winds up to 15 km/h and a daytime high of 0c is expected. The wind chill -10 this morning.

Tonight, the weather service says to expect mainly cloudy skies with a 60 percent chance of flurries. Winds will blow at up to 15 km/h. The overnight low -6c, however, the wind chill will make it feel more like -11.

For Saturday, Environment Canada says to expect mainly cloudy skies with a 60 percent chance of flurries. Saturday’s high will be -1c however the wind chill will be -12c in the morning and -6c in the afternoon.

Peawanuck

For Peawanuck the weather service says skies will become cloudy this morning. There is a 40 percent chance of flurries this afternoon. Winds will become west 20 km/h early this afternoon. The high zero. The wind chill -12c this morning.

For Friday night it will be cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 7c, however the wind chill -6c this evening and -13c overnight.

For Saturday, cloudy skies with a 30 percent chance of flurries changing to 70 percent chance of flurries near noon. Winds will become northwest 20 km/h gusting to 40 near noon. The high zero. The wind chill -13c in the morning.

Kenora and Lake of the Woods Region

It is -4c in the Lake of the Woods region this morning at 06:00 CDT. There will be ainly cloudy skies with a few snow flurries beginning this morning. Winds of up to 15 km/h are expected. High today will be +1c. this morning with a wind chill of -9c this morning. Tonight there will be snow flurries, with an overnight low of -7c, and a wind chill of -13c.

Heading into Saturday expect mainly cloudy skies with a 60 percent chance of flurries. Winds of up to 15 km/h and a daytime high of -2c. Wind chill -13c in the morning and -6c in the afternoon are expected.

If you are planning travel