THUNDER BAY – The City of Thunder Bay is continuing the process of facility re-opening. Last night Council approved the reopening of several facilities, programs, and services last night as part of the Phase I Fall 2020 Operations.
All of the decisions regarding openings, must be approved by the Chief Medical Officer of Health and are being done in consultation.
In developing reopening plans, Administration is guided by the principles of: ‘Safety First’ (for public and employees, as informed by public health professionals); ‘Value for Money’ (reopening programs and services that deliver the highest value at best cost or adjust services to support cost containment); and ‘Create Opportunity’ (innovative ways to serve the community and support economic recovery).
Recommended operations to reopen with program modifications:
Canada Games Complex
- Anticipated reopening date in mid-late September (subject to successful Public Health Inspection)
- Initial activities will include family/small group swims, senior swims, aquatic fitness, lane swims, aquatic club/pool rentals, fitness classes and fitness areas including track (with appropriate social distancing)
- No access to sauna or hot tub
- More information on pre-booking swim times and fitness classes to follow once the opening date is confirmed.
Municipal Child Care – Algoma, Woodcrest, Ogden and Grace Remus
- Centres will provide care for preschool and toddler age children at this time.
- All sites are working towards reopening school age programs. Before and after school and school age care are not opening at this time but centres are working towards reopening these programs. Staff will keep families informed of progress.
Licensed Private Home Child Care
- Homes have gradually opened and will be in full operation by mid-September.
- Enhanced measures have been implemented in the homes for cleaning and tacking purposes. Masks and eye protection are required as homes will follow protocols as licensed child care centres.
- Call Penny – Private Home Child Care Worker at 623-1767
Baggage Building Arts Centre
- Anticipated reopening in fall 2020
The following facilities, programs, and operations are currently under review for reopening:
- Volunteer Pool (currently closed due to annual maintenance)
- Fort William Stadium
- 55 Plus Centre/West Arthur Community Centre
- Neighbourhood Recreation Program
- Vale and Jumbo Gardens Community Centres
Recommended Closures, Cancellations and Deferred Reopenings
Mariners’ Hall has been approved to remain closed, with a decision on reopening being deferred to late fall.
The following events have been canceled, rescheduled or changed to virtual:
- Movie Nights (canceled)
- Arts and Heritage Awards (deferred to 2021)
- Culture Days (now a series of virtual events from September 25 – October 25)
As the City adjusts its operations, demand for programs and services is unknown due to ongoing response to the COVID-19 virus. The administration will make decisions within their discretion and/or report to the Council on more substantive changes required.