Ottawa, THUNDER BAY, ON – Today, the Liberal Party of Canada released three new TV ads to highlight that a re-elected Liberal government will continue to take decisive action to fight the climate crisis.
“In October, you get to choose. We can go back to the Harper years when the Conservatives did nothing about climate change – or fight for a better future,” said the Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada, Justin Trudeau, in one of the new ads. “I’m for moving forward for everyone. It’s that clear – and it’s that important. The future of our planet is at stake.”
Thunder Bay-Rainy River Green Party of Canada candidate Amanda Moddejonge states, “Justin Trudeau is putting a lot of effort campaigning against Stephen Harper, while at the same time utilizing Harper’s GHG targets and suggesting that the Liberal party has a plan. The Liberal Party does not have a plan, they have left-over Harper-era policies and rhetoric that won’t work. Trudeau says he will make zero-emission vehicles more accessible and affordable, but he is over-taxing Canadians and making essentials like food and fuel to heat our homes far too costly. He is suggesting that he now is passionate about coastal and marine conservation when the truth is the only piece of legislation passed that offers protection was created and introduced as a Private Member’s Bill by a Green MP- Bruce Hyer. The only piece of climate change legislation that has passed the house was also a Green initiative.”
The ads launch comes at the start of Global Climate Action Week. In the coming days, we will announce further ambitious action to combat the climate crisis – the defining global issue of our time. The science is clear, the evidence is clear, and Canadians are clear – we must step up and protect our environment. Our kids and grandkids are counting on us.
Over the last four years, the Liberal government took significant action to protect our environment for generations to come, including:
- putting a price on the pollution that causes climate change;
- banning harmful single-use plastics;
- protecting nearly 14 per cent of Canada’s coasts and marine areas;
- building 1,200 public transit projects across the country;
- making zero-emission vehicles more accessible and affordable;
- investing in energy efficiency to help families and businesses save money;
- committing to phase out coal power by 2030, and investing in renewables like wind and solar;
- safeguarding our oceans and coasts with our historic Oceans Protection Plan; and
- making the largest conservation investments in Canadian history.
“A better future doesn’t just happen. We make it happen,” said Mr. Trudeau. “Andrew Scheer doesn’t think it’s possible to grow the economy and fight climate change. He’s wrong. Our plan will create jobs, reduce pollution, and leave a healthier planet for our kids and grandkids.”