THUNDER BAY – “The homeowner did many things right in this case”, said Deputy Fire Chief Dave Paxton, “He ensured he had working smoke alarms and took reasonable steps to extinguish the fire when it was just starting. Unfortunately, he was injured when he didn’t immediately evacuate after his attempts at extinguishing the fire were unsuccessful.”
A fire investigation has determined the cause of the fire at a residence on Coppin Road, March 18th to have been accidental in nature. The cause has been determined to be the failure of an electrical extension cord in the living room of the home.
This failure then ignited the couch which was discovered by the homeowner. The homeowner attempted to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher but was not successful.
He was transported to TRHSC for smoke inhalation and minor burns.
Thunder Bay Fire Rescue reminds residents to replace extension cords in their homes if there are any signs they have been damaged. It is important to ensure that no furniture or appliances are placed on top of extension cords.