Feature Recipe from the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre’s Fresh Market
THUNDER BAY – FOOD – Healthy, seasonal recipes are available for staff, patients, families and community members at Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre’s Fresh Market, a farmer’s market which runs every Wednesday from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm, June through October, in the Cafeteria Courtyard at our Hospital.
340g refrigerated fresh pizza dough
1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved or other tomatoes diced
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp cornmeal
3 garlic cloves, minced
~90g fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup very thinly sliced fresh basil
- If dough cold, stand at room temperature, covered, for 30 minutes. Preheat broiler to high.
- Combine tomatoes and 1 tablespoon oil on a parchment-lined baking sheet; toss to coat tomatoes. Broil 10 minutes.
- Bring vinegar to simmer in a saucepan over medium heat; simmer 10 minutes or until reduced by half. *Watch carefully so it doesn’t burn
- Place the pizza stone or heavy baking sheet in the oven. Preheat to 500°.
- Roll dough into a 14-inch circle on a lightly floured surface; pierce dough liberally with a fork. Remove pizza stone from oven. Sprinkle cornmeal over pizza stone. Place dough on pizza stone; bake at 500° for 5 minutes.
- Remove stone from oven. Combine remaining oil and garlic; brush evenly over crust, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with tomatoes and cheese. Spray border of crust with cooking spray. Bake 12 minutes or until cheese melts and crust browns. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle with vinegar; sprinkle with basil. Cut into 8 wedges.
Recipe adapted from myrecipes.com