THUNDER BAY –The road work season in Thunder Bay is well underway. Projects to be undertaken in 2017 include road and sidewalk rehabilitation, residential paving, sewer and watermain repair/replacement, bridge and culvert work and streetlight renewal.
Summer also brings with it numerous community events to engage residents and visitors alike. These often result in temporary street closures. Residents are reminded to obey detours and drive with extra care in the vicinity of these closures so everyone can enjoy the events in a safe environment.
Temporary street closures for events will be in effect:
- Brunswick Street from Arthur Street to McGregor Avenue, on Tuesday, July 11, from 9 am – 4 pm, for the Teddy Bear’s Picnic
- Sleeping Giant Parkway from north of roundabout to Sault Laskin Drive, Saul Laskin Drive from Bobby Curtola Drive South to Bobby Curtola Drive North, Bobby Curtola Drive from Saul Laskin Drive to Marina Park Overpass, every Wednesday from July 12 to August 30, from 4 pm – 9:30 pm, for Live on the Water front (formerly Summer in the Parks)
- Bobby Curtola Drive from Marina Park Overpass to Prince Arthur’s Landing, Saul Laskin Drive from Bobby Curtola Drive to Bobby Curtola Drive, on Saturday, July 15, from 2 pm – 9 pm for the Festival of India
- Queen Street from Memorial Avenue to entrance of the Wholesale Club, Fort William Road from Queen Street to Court Street, on Saturday, July 22, from 6 am – 6 pm, for the 6th Annual Fat Guys Auto Parts Car Show
- Paul Street from Red River Road to Van Norman Street, Cooke Street from St. Paul Street to Court Street, on Saturday, July 29, from 8 am – 12 am (midnight), for Really, Really, Really Long Table
- Bay Street from Secord Street to Algoma Street, on Saturday, July 29, and Sunday, July 30, from 7 am – 6 pm both days, for the Valley Fresh Busker’s Fest
- Bobby Curtola Drive from Marina Park Overpass to Prince Arthur’s Landing, Saul Laskin Drive from Bobby Curtola Drive to Bobby Curtola Drive, on Sunday, Aug. 6, from 10 am – 10 pm, for the CP Canada 150 Celebration
- George Street, from Simpson Street to May Street, on Saturday, Aug. 19, from 10 am – 5:30 pm, for Shelter House Thunder Bay’s Annual Street Party
- Frederica Street, from 135 Frederica St. E. to 217 Frederica St. W., Brown Street from theintersection of Frederica Street to south and north of Frederica Street, Edward Street from intersection of Frederica Street to south and north of Edward Street, on Saturday Aug. 29, from 7 am – 7 pm, for the Westfort Street Fair
Road Work Ahead:
The following areas are scheduled for or are currently undergoing road and other major infrastructure work that is expected to affect traffic:
Sewer & Watermain Work
- Simpson Street, from Pacific Avenue to Robertson Street will be closed to through traffic for approximately two weeks, for the installation of a new watermain
Road, Street Lighting & Sidewalk Improvements
- Replacement of the High Street Retaining Wall began in June. High Street South between John Street and Bay Street, and Cornwall Avenue above High Street South is closed to traffic during construction.
- Road resurfacing work has begun on MacDougall Street between Cumberland Street and Algoma Street. The street is closed to through traffic as work proceeds.
- Road rehabilitation work continues on Dawson Road between Skyline Avenue and Hilldale Road. Work includes resurfacing the street, replacing curb and gutter, and extending underground services. During construction traffic is restricted to one lane in each direction, however there may be times when traffic is further reduced to one lane.
- Road resurfacing work on Burriss Street between Margaret Street and Huron Avenue is slated to start. The street will be closed to through traffic as the work proceeds.
- Residential resurfacing work continues on Cuyler Street, Ford Street, Connolly Street, McIntosh Street, and Sunflower Street.
- Asphalt patching work on Balmoral Street between Alloy Drive and Hewitson Street is scheduled to start. Watch for lane closures as the work proceeds.
- Crescent Avenue, from Logan Street to Bruce Street, will be under road and watermain construction. Local access only.
- New sidewalk work on south side of Arthur Street at Hwy 61 between Airlane Hotel and Hampton Inn. Watch for eastbound traffic lane closures during working hours and restrictions to ramp access.
- Storm sewer work on James Street between Riverview Drive to Churchill drive continues. Watch for posted traffic detour using Churchill Drive/Edward Street/ Victoria Ave. There will be local access to the residential streets at each end of the construction limits
- Sewer, watermain and road construction is progressing in the North Archibald and North Brodie Street areas. Streets will be closed to through traffic on a block to block basis and with local access only.
- Sidewalk replacement projects on sections of South Edward Street and new sidewalks in the Bay/Rockwood /Winsor area will be underway. Some parking, driveway and local access restrictions may be encountered as the work proceeds.
- New pedestrian cross over locations at Simpson & Ogden Street and Walsh & Selkirk Street will be commencing. Watch fir lane restrictions and equipment working as the work proceeds.
The above list includes major, traffic-affecting construction. Other work, including sidewalk replacements and curb and gutter repairs, is scheduled for residential areas and other areas around the City. Schedules are subject to change. For more information, visit: thunderbay.ca/roadwork