Shuniah Fire Rescue Responds to Alder Road Blaze

Cooking Fires are a leading cause of fires in homes.
Fire in Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug First Nation is under investigation

SHUNIAH – At approximately 6:00 pm on Friday, June 15, 2018, Shuniah Fire & Emergency Services (SFES) responded to reports of a stove fire on Alder Road in the Municipality of Shuniah.

Upon entry of the first arriving crews, they found moderate smoke on the first floor and located smoldering embers in the wall behind the stove.

Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire and ensured there was no fire extension to other areas of the home.

The fire was declared extinguished at approximately 6:25 pm followed by a period of ventilation to remove any remaining smoke throughout the first and second floor. The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental activation of a stovetop element by a pet causing a cutting board to catch fire.

While no one was home at the start of the fire, the quick actions of an occupant just arriving home, evacuating their pet, turning off the element, and closing the doors of the home, saved their pet and prevented the spread of the fire.

Six SFES firefighters in two fire apparatus responded to the call. All SFES units were back in service by 7:45 pm.

SFES would like to remind the public about the importance of smoke alarms on every level of homes and that carbon monoxide (CO) alarms are required outside sleeping areas when combustion appliances are in the home.