Greater Sudbury Region: Special Weather Advisory Issued for Rainfall over Weekend

9945
Rainfall Warning

Greater Sudbury – Weather – Get out the raincoats, umbrellas and maybe even buckets. It will be a wet weekend. The Weather Desk is calling for rain in significant volumes through Saturday and Sunday.

Greater Sudbury is on alert this weekend with a special weather statement in effect due to expected significant rainfall. Residents are advised to prepare for potential flash floods and water pooling on roads, particularly in low-lying areas.

Today’s Weather Overview

Current Conditions

As of 5:00 AM EDT at Greater Sudbury Airport, the skies are clear with a chilly temperature of -0.6°C. The dew point sits at -5.5°C, contributing to a humidity level of 69%. Southeast winds are blowing gently at 8 km/h, creating a wind chill factor of -3. Visibility is excellent at 24 km, and the barometric pressure is on the rise, now at 103.0 kPa.

Expected Conditions

Today, Sudbury will see sunny skies with the wind shifting south and increasing to 20 km/h, gusting up to 40 km/h. Despite the sunshine, a cold start with a wind chill of minus 6 this morning will precede a high of 12°C, and a moderate UV index of 5.

Tonight, skies will remain clear until increasing cloudiness near midnight. Winds will continue from the south at 20 km/h but will become lighter late in the evening. The night will be slightly warmer with a low of plus 3°C.

Saturday, April 27, will bring rain, beginning early in the morning and expected to continue into Sunday. There is a risk of thunderstorms late in the morning and again in the afternoon. Rainfall amounts are forecasted to be between 10 to 15 mm, with winds strengthening from the south at 30 km/h, gusting to 50 km/h. The high will be a mild 13°C with a low UV index of 1. Nighttime will see ongoing periods of rain with a low of 10°C.

Sunday, April 28, will be cloudy with a 60 percent chance of showers and a steady high of 13°C. The night will remain cloudy with a reduced chance of showers at 40 percent, cooling down to a low of 6°C.

Wardrobe Recommendations

With rainy and chilly conditions forecasted, residents should prepare with waterproof outerwear, including raincoats and boots. Layering is advisable to adjust comfortably between indoor and outdoor temperatures.

Weather Trivia

Did you know? Sudbury’s record for the most rainfall in a single day was set on September 9, 1999, when the city received a staggering 109 mm of rain, showcasing the region’s capacity for significant weather events.

Previous articleMobile Magic: The Convenience of Accessing Top Casino Games Anywhere, Anytime!
Next articleWHO reports widespread overuse of antibiotics in patients hospitalized with COVID-19