Heat Warning Issued for Kenora, Lac Seul, Lake of the Woods, Grassy Narrows, and “Winnipeg East Cottage Country”

7027
Heat Warning

Current Conditions

As of 5:00 AM CDT on Thursday, July 11, 2024, the weather in Kenora and surrounding areas is mainly clear with a temperature of 18.2°C. The dew point is at 16.7°C, resulting in a humidity level of 91%. Winds are light from the south at 9 km/h, and the barometric pressure is 101.7 kPa and falling. Visibility is excellent at 24 km.

Heat Warning in Effect

Prolonged Heat Forecast

A significant heat event is expected to begin today and persist through the weekend in northwestern Ontario, including Kenora, Lac Seul, Lake of the Woods, Grassy Narrows, and Winnipeg East Cottage Country. Daytime highs are projected to be near 30°C, with humidex values around 35°C. Nighttime temperatures will offer little relief, staying around 19°C. A cooler air mass is anticipated to arrive Sunday night.

Health Precautions

Extreme heat can affect everyone’s health, particularly vulnerable groups such as children, the elderly, and those with pre-existing health conditions. To stay safe:

  • Stay Hydrated: Drink water regularly, even if you don’t feel thirsty, to prevent dehydration.
  • Schedule Wisely: Plan outdoor activities during the cooler parts of the day.
  • Check Vehicles: Never leave children or pets inside parked vehicles.

Today’s Detailed Forecast

Morning to Afternoon

Today will be sunny with winds becoming southwest at 20 km/h, gusting to 40 km/h late this morning. The high temperature will reach 30°C, with a humidex of 35°C. The UV index is very high at 8, necessitating sun protection.

Evening

Tonight will remain clear, becoming partly cloudy before morning. Winds from the southwest at 20 km/h gusting to 40 km/h will become light late in the evening. The low will be 21°C, keeping the night warm.

Upcoming Days

Friday, July 12

Friday will feature a mix of sun and cloud with a 40% chance of showers and a risk of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Winds will become south at 20 km/h, gusting to 40 km/h in the morning. The high will be 30°C, with a humidex of 35°C. The UV index will be high at 7. Overnight, expect cloudy periods with a 60% chance of showers and a low of 20°C.

Saturday, July 13

Saturday will be cloudy with a 60% chance of showers and a high of 29°C. The night will have cloudy periods with a 30% chance of showers and a low of 18°C.

Sunday, July 14

Sunday will see a mix of sun and cloud with a 30% chance of showers and a high of 27°C. The night will have cloudy periods with a 30% chance of showers and a low of 18°C.

Historical Weather Trivia

On this date, Kenora’s record high temperature was 35.6°C, set in 1988. The record low was a cool 6.1°C, recorded in 1975.

What to Wear

Given the high temperatures and sunny conditions, light, breathable clothing is ideal. A wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses are recommended for sun protection. Don’t forget to apply sunscreen with a high SPF to protect your skin from UV rays.

Kenora Weather Trivia

Did you know? Kenora, located on the shores of Lake of the Woods, is a popular destination for fishing and boating. The area experiences a humid continental climate, with warm summers and cold, snowy winters, providing a variety of outdoor activities year-round.

Previous articleHeat Wave Hits Sioux Lookout with High Temperatures
Next article5 Benefits of Using an FSA for a Massage Gun