Thunder Bay – HEALTH – The Thunder Bay District Health Unit, in partnership with St. Joseph’s Care Group, has announced a respiratory outbreak, specifically COVID-19, at St. Joseph’s Hospital’s 2 North – Medically Complex Service. This outbreak, confirmed at their 35 Algoma St. N location, was declared on November 7, 2023.
In response, the hospital has implemented restrictions on admissions, transfers, discharges, social activities, and visitations in the impacted area until further notice. Those needing more information should contact the facility directly.
The Health Unit is urging the public to avoid visiting hospitals, long-term care facilities, and similar high-risk settings if they are unwell, to prevent spreading infections to vulnerable groups.
Key preventative measures recommended by the TBDHU include:
- Remaining home when sick.
- Wearing well-fitted masks in indoor settings, particularly around vulnerable individuals or when recovering from an illness.
- Staying up-to-date with influenza and COVID-19 vaccinations.
- Regular hand washing for at least 20 seconds with soap and warm water, or using alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- Covering coughs and sneezes with the upper sleeve when tissues are unavailable.
- Utilizing the Ontario screening tool for self-assessment and guidance on next steps.
For detailed information regarding current outbreaks, please visit the Thunder Bay District Health Unit’s outbreak status page at https://www.tbdhu.com/outbreakstatus.