THUNDER BAY – Wildfire Update – The wildland fire hazard in the region is mainly high to moderate in Red Lake, Kenora, Fort Frances, Dryden and Sioux Lookout sectors. Thunder Bay and Nipigon sectors feature high to extreme hazard conditions.
- One new fire was confirmed in the Northwest Region by the late afternoon of September 8.
- Red Lake 7 is located in the far north community of Pikangikum. The 0.1 hectare fire is under control.
- Since the last update:
- Red Lake 6 was discovered in the late afternoon of September 7 at North Spirit Lake First Nation. The 0.1 hectare fire has been called out.
- There are three active fires in the Northwest Region at the time of this update. Two fires are under control and one fire is being observed.
- Check current wildland fire hazard conditions in your local area using our interactive map.
Follow Ontario’s Outdoor Burning Regulations
Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services would like to remind the public to use caution when performing any outdoor burning. In order to dispose of yard waste and woody debris, we encourage you to use methods such as composting or using your local landfill. If you must burn, follow Ontario’s Outdoor Burning Regulations.
Fires are to be ignited no sooner than two hours before sunset and extinguished no later than two hours after sunrise. Always have tools/water adequate to contain the fire at the site. Know the rules for safe outdoor burning. Consult the full set of Outdoor Burning Regulations. If you intend to burn within the boundaries of a municipality, check with your local fire department for restrictions or permitting requirements.
Help fight forest fires: Stay clear of waterbombers!
When waterbombers approach a body of water, move close to the shore so they can perform their scoop safely. A waterbomber will not scoop from a lake or river if encroaching watercraft pose a safety hazard. Be safe, stay clear of waterbombers.
Report a Wildland Fire
To report a wildland fire located north of the French and Mattawa rivers, please dial 310-FIRE. To report a forest fire located south of the French or Mattawa rivers, please dial 911.