Andrew Scheer Statement on Ontario Carbon Tax Ruling

Conservative Party Leader Andrew Scheer

OTTAWA – Andrew Scheer, Leader of Canada’s Conservatives and of the Official Opposition, issued the following statement regarding the decision by the Court of Appeal of Ontario today:

“I agree with Justice Huscroft’s statement that ‘Parliament cannot insist that its preferred means of dealing with a problem be implemented by the provinces when that means encroaches on provincial lawmaking authority.’

“Ontarians have said loud and clear that they do not want Justin Trudeau’s Carbon Tax. The governments of Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario and New Brunswick are each fighting the Liberal Carbon Tax and pushing back against Trudeau’s so-called environment plan.

“When it comes to climate change, Justin Trudeau is not as advertised. His unfair Carbon Tax gives big polluters a pass and punishes Canadians for driving to work and heating their homes. Under his plan, major emitters only pay 8% of the total revenue collected by the carbon tax and the remaining 92% is paid for by families and small businesses across the country.

“Every day, Canada gets further and further away from meeting the Paris targets. Not only is the gap widening but the Parliamentary Budget Officer has said that Trudeau’s Carbon Tax would have to increase five-times to meet the Paris targets – making life even more unaffordable for Canadians.

“The good news is that after October 21st, provinces will no longer have to fight the Liberal Carbon Tax in court.  My first action as Prime Minister will be to scrap Justin Trudeau’s Carbon Tax and help Canadians get ahead.

“Just last week I released A Real Plan to Protect Our Environment. Our plan is Canada’s best chance to meet the Paris targets and balances the need for Canada to fight climate change and lower emissions with our core promise of leaving more money in Canadians pockets and letting them get ahead.”

Previous articleStatement from Minister Yurek Following the Ontario Court of Appeal’s Decision
Next articleTanner Byrne to Retire from Professional Bull Riding to Pursuit Career as Cowboy Protection Bullfighter or NNL offers news, information, opinions and positive ideas for Thunder Bay, Ontario, Northwestern Ontario and the world. NNL covers a large region of Ontario, but we are also widely read around the country and the world. To reach us by email: Reach the Newsroom: (807) 355-1862