Smoke Detector Saves Lives in Marathon

Regional News

Smoke Detector - image
Smoke Detector - image

MARATHON – NEWS – This morning at 05:18 EDT the Marathon Fire Department responded to a fire alarm activation in Marathon.

When firefighters the arrived on scene they found a smoke alarm had activated in an apartment and there was smoke visible.

First arriving crews made access to the unit and found food cooking on the stove unattended and 3 people inside the unit still asleep.

The people were brought out of the apartment and treated by Superior North EMS on scene.

Marathon Fire Department report, “This story has a happy ending as the fire did not spread and no one sustained serious injuries. This situation could have easily been deadly for the residents in this unit and affected many other residents of this building.

“We want to take this opportunity to remind people that unattended cooking is a leading cause of residential fires and smoke alarms will only save you if you exit the building when they are activated!”

To date this year in Ontario there have been 13 fire deaths, this number almost increased by 3 today.

Previous articleMarch 13/2019 – Thunder Bay Prepares for Rain Storm
Next articleCanada Issues Safety Notice on Boeing 737 MAX 8 or NNL offers news, information, opinions and positive ideas for Thunder Bay, Ontario, Northwestern Ontario and the world. NNL covers a large region of Ontario, but are also widely read around the country and the world. To reach us by email: Reach the Newsroom: (807) 355-1862