Carbon Monoxide Monitors are the Law

Regional News

839
Carbon Monoxide
Having your boiler and furnace checked annually and having working Carbon Monoxide Monitors is Important

CO is Deadly – Carbon Monoxide Alarm is Main Part of Family Safety

SHUNIAH – NEWS – At approximately 11:30 pm on Friday, February 22, 2019, Shuniah Fire & Emergency Services (SFES) responded to a report of a possible carbon monoxide leak at a residence in Longhouse Village on Lakeshore Drive in the Municipality of Shuniah.

During the investigation, it was discovered that no carbon monoxide (CO) alarm was installed in the home and two non-working smoke alarms were found, one that had been rendered inoperable. When investigators attended the home to follow-up in the investigation, they found the homeowner had installed a carbon monoxide alarm.

As a result of the investigation, the homeowner was fined $360 for failing to maintain a smoke alarm in operating condition and warned about the CO alarm.

In light of this close call, and the recent fire fatalities in the country, SFES would like to remind the public that smoke and CO alarms are not only the law but are a main part of your family’s safety as an early warning system. Smoke and carbon monoxide will not wake a person up but will render a person unconscious and be fatal. If you have questions about your alarms or fire safety, contact your local fire service.

Previous articleOutbreak Over at Hogarth Riverview Manor
Next articleAnishnawbe Business Professional Association Launches in Thunder Bay
NetNewsledger.com or NNL offers news, information, opinions and positive ideas for Thunder Bay, Ontario, Northwestern Ontario and the world. NNL covers a large region of Ontario, but we are also widely read around the country and the world. To reach us by email: newsroom@netnewsledger.com. Reach the Newsroom: (807) 355-1862