THUNDER BAY – NEWS – A McBain Street landlord has been ticketed for failing to maintain a smoke alarm in operating condition. The ticket carries a fine of $360.
Thunder Bay Fire Rescue responded to a structural fire at the residence shortly after 4 am on January 13. The fire was confined to the kitchen of the home and was quickly extinguished. The resident was woken by a barking dog and safely exited the home and called 911. During the fire investigation, Thunder Bay Fire Rescue investigators discovered there was no working smoke alarm on the main floor of the home. The cause of the fire was cooking left unattended.
“Only working smoke alarms can give you the early warning you need to escape a fire,” said Fire Chief John Hay. “Smoke alarm violations will result in a ticket with a set fine of $360 or a Part 3 charge with a fine of up to $50,000 for individuals and $100,000 for corporations”
Thunder Bay Fire Rescue reminds residents that it is the law to have working smoke alarms on every level of your home and outside all sleeping areas. Carbon Monoxide alarms are required to be installed outside any sleeping area if your home has a fuel-fired appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage. For more information residents are encouraged to visit: www.thunderbay.ca/fire.