THUNDER BAY – WILDFIRE UPDATE – There were four new fires in the Northwest Region by the early evening of July 27.
- Kenora Fire 81 was located on Kushog Lake and arose from an improperly extinguished campfire. The 0.1-hectare fire was put out by the staff of a nearby fishing lodge and reported to the MNRF.
- Sioux Lookout Fire 86 is located at Doghole Bay near Mishkeegogamang First Nation. The 0.1-hectare fire is not under control.
- Sioux Lookout Fire 87 is located approximately 75 kilometres north of Sioux Lookout near Balsawood Lake. The 1.5-hectare fire is currently not under control.
- Kenora Fire 83 is a 0.1-hectare fire located at the dump site near the community of Wabaseemoong (Whitedog). It is currently not under control.
Currently, there are 70 active fires in the Northwest Region, 60 of which are either being observed, being held or under control.
The fire hazard is currently high in the Kenora District turning to moderate in the Red Lake, Sioux Lookout, Dryden and Fort Frances areas with a low hazard prevailing in the Thunder Bay and north shore of Lake Superior areas.
Kenora Fire 71 update
A relatively quiet week on the region`s fire of note. Kenora Fire 71 has over 160 firefighters spread out across the flanks of the 10,265-hectare fire, taking advantage of the low fire behaviour to consolidate hoselines in anticipation of the return of more active burning conditions. Two heavy helicopters are helping crews on the ground by bucketing water onto hotspots.
Ontario Parks restricts access in Woodland Caribou Provincial Park
Several large fires in Woodland Caribou Park have necessitated some restrictions for backcountry travellers. Ontario Parks is restricting access to some canoe routes as well as access to a number of lakes. You can find more details here.
To see a complete list of fires across the province click on our interactive map. You can also get the latest update on the condition of any fire by clicking the fire icon.
Fire numbers and online information:
- Forest Fire Reporting Number – 310-FIRE (3473)
- Twitter account