THUNDER BAY – Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit are investigating the injuries sustained by a 19-year-old woman today after she fell from an apartment building window in Thunder Bay.
- Shortly after midnight on Monday, October 16, 2017, officers with the Thunder Bay Police Service attended an apartment building in the area of River Street and Algoma Street North to deal with a domestic situation.
- Shortly after arriving at a 3rd floor apartment unit, officers arrested a 19-year-old man.
- At some point, a 19-year-old woman who was also in the apartment fell from an apartment window. She sustained serious injuries, and as a result, was transported to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.