No Smoke Detectors in House – Occupants Lucky

311
Thunder Bay Fire Rescue Unit 6
Thunder Bay Fire Rescue Unit 6

THUNDER BAY – Just before 5:00 AM on May 4, 2017 Thunder Bay Fire Rescue were dispatched to the 400 block of 4TH Ave. On arrival smoke and fire were coming from the second floor window and roof area of the residence. A second alarm was activated with approximately 24 personnel in total.

At 4:58 a.m. Thunder Bay Police patrol officers driving along Memorial Ave noticed smoke in the area. The officers searched for the source of the smoke and located a house on Fourth Ave with flames coming out of the roof.

The officers immediately advised communication center of the situation and ran to residence to try to evacuate anyone inside.

A female answered the door and was unaware of the fire. She indicated that another person was asleep in the upper level of the house.

Officers proceeded to enter the building and successfully located the male and the family pet and safely removed them from the home.

The fire was contained to the attic area and was quickly brought under control and extinguished with an exterior and interior attack. Thunder Bay Police discovered the fire and alerted the occupants and they were safely removed from the residence.

The occupants are extremely fortunate that Police were in the area as there were no working Smoke Detectors. There was moderate smoke and water damage throughout and the Fire Inspection personnel will attend the scene to determine cause.

It is mandatory, and common sense as well for smoke detectors to be located in your home.