THUNDER BAY – WEATHER – Extreme Cold Warnings are in effect across Northern Ontario.
Extreme Cold Warning in effect for:
- City of Thunder Bay
- Sioux Lookout – Savant Lake
- Pickle Lake
- Fort Severn – Sandy Lake – Peawanuck
- Nipigon – Marathon – Geraldton
- Red Lake – Vermillion Bay
- Fort Frances – Atikokan
Temperatures in the minus thirties will combine with strong winds to produce wind chill values near minus 40 tonight and early Friday morning.
The extreme cold will moderate by Friday afternoon.
While anyone who isn’t dressed warmly is at risk in cold weather conditions, some are at greater risk than others for frost bite and hypothermia:
– homeless people
– outdoor workers
– people living in homes that are poorly insulated (with no heat or no power)
– people with certain medical conditions such as diabetes, peripheral neuropathy and diseases affecting the blood vessels, people taking certain medications including beta-blockers
– winter sport enthusiasts
– people who consume excess alcohol
– infants and
Wear appropriate clothing.
– Always wear clothing appropriate for the weather. Synthetic and wool fabrics provide better insulation. Some synthetic fabrics are designed to keep perspiration away from your body which keep you dry and further reduce your risk.
– Dress in layers with a wind resistant outer layer. You can remove layers if you get too warm (before you start sweating) or add a layer if you get cold.
– Wear warm socks, gloves, a hat and scarf in cold weather. Be sure to cover your nose to protect it.
– If you get wet, change into dry clothing as soon as possible. You lose heat faster when you’re wet