THUNDER BAY – Winter is arriving in the far north of Ontario.
Extreme Cold Warning in effect for:
- Fort Severn – Washaho Cree Nation
A period of very cold wind chills is expected.
The coldest air of the season is descending upon Far Northern Ontario. Very cold minimum temperatures in the minus 32 to minus 35 range are forecast for this upcoming night into early Saturday morning. Wind chill values are expected to be near minus 45 late tonight into Saturday morning, due to westerly winds of 15 to 20 km/h.
The extreme cold conditions will ease as temperatures recover somewhat during the day Saturday.
Watch for cold related symptoms and complaints which include:
– Respiratory: shortness of breath, wheezing and cough
– Cardiovascular: chest pain and arrhythmias
– Circulation: colour change of finger and toes, pain, numbness and tickling sensation in extremities
– Muscle: pain, stiffness, swelling, restricted movement, weakness
– Skin: itching, pale.
If you experience these symptoms when exposed to the cold, move indoors and begin warming.
Wear appropriate clothing.
– Always wear clothing appropriate for the weather. Synthetic and wool fabrics provide better insulation. Some synthetic fabrics are designed to keep perspiration away from your body which keep you dry and further reduce your risk.
– Dress in layers with a wind resistant outer layer. You can remove layers if you get too warm (before you start sweating) or add a layer if you get cold.
– Wear warm socks, gloves, a hat and scarf in cold weather. Be sure to cover your nose to protect it.
– If you get wet, change into dry clothing as soon as possible. You lose heat faster when you’re wet.