THUNDER BAY – NEWS – Thunder Bay Fire Rescue report that at just after 9:00 am this date firefighters responded to a report of a possible structural fire in a 3 storey multi-unit building on Melon St. First arriving crews were to discover that a couch in the living room of a ground floor apartment was smouldering.
Quick action by the crew removed the couch through a nearby window to the outside where it was fully extinguished.
Fire damage was confined to the couch in question with light to moderate smoke damage in the apartment. The lone female occupant of the apartment had evacuated herself to the outside prior to our arrival. Other occupants had also evacuated the building safely. That female as well as two young children from within the building were assessed by Ambulance personnel on scene for possible smoke inhalation and were transported to Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre for further treatment.
It was to be confirmed at approximately 11:30 that all had been released from Hospital. There were no injuries to any Fire Personnel on scene.
It should be noted that this multi-unit building had proper fire detection equipment which had operated properly. Because of this, the lone female occupant of the apartment was alerted to her situation in a timely fashion which undoubtedly led to a better outcome.