THUNDER BAY – A busy road work season is taking place in Thunder Bay. Projects to be undertaken in 2015 include road and sidewalk rehabilitation, residential paving, sewer and watermain repair/replacement, bridge work and streetlight renewal. The City of Thunder Bay is investing $40 million on these improvements and related infrastructure, including $380,000 in the Enhanced Infrastructure Renewal Program Capital Budget in 2015. Road work can result in road closures, detours and delays for drivers. Drivers should reduce their speed, be alert, watch for workers and drive with extra care in construction zones.
Temporary street closures for events will be in effect:
- Saturday, July 18 from 8 – 11 am, full closure of Lyon Blvd. from Algoma Street N. to Arundel Street, partial closure of Arundel Street from Lyon Blvd. to Lyon Blvd., full closure of Lyon Blvd. from Arundel Street to Rita Street, and partial closure of Cumberland Street N. from Grenville Avenue to Trail, for The Color Vibe 5K
- Tuesday, July 21 from 3 – 10 pm, Bobby Curtola Drive from Marina Park Overpass to Prince Arthur’s Landing, and Saul Laskin Drive from Bobby Curtola Drive to Bobby Curtola Drive, for Festival of India
- Saturday, July 25 from 8 am – 4 pm, Queen Street from Memorial Avenue to Fort William Road, and Fort William Road from Queen Street to Court Street, for the Fat Guys Fourth Annual Car Show
- Saturday, July 25 from 6 am – 6 pm, and Sunday, July 26 from 6 am – 6 pm, Bay Street from Secord Street to Algoma Street, and Algoma Street from Bay Street to Cornwall Street, for the Valley Fresh Buskers Festival
- Friday, August 14 from 12 noon to Saturday, August 15 at 11 pm, Bobby Curtola Drive from Marina Park Overpass to Prince Arthur’s Landing, and Saul Laskin Drive from Bobby Curtola Drive North to Bobby Curtola Drive South, for the Brew Ha 2015 Craft Beer Festival
Road Work Ahead:
The following areas are currently undergoing or are scheduled for road and other major infrastructure work that is expected to affect traffic.
Sewer & Watermain Work
- May Street between Dease Street and Miles Street is scheduled for road reconstruction including the reconstruction of the watermain, sanitary sewer and new streetscaping. The project will begin in late June and continue for approximately 16 weeks. Work will proceed in stages, beginning with the section of May Street between Dease Street and Bethune Street. May Street will be completely closed in this section; please use posted detours.
- Gore Street from Crawford Avenue to James Street S. will undergo stripping and repaving, along with installation of new curbs and gutters.
- Mary Street W. between Neebing Avenue and Crawford Place is slated for road and watermain construction. The road will be closed to through traffic. Local access will be available at each end of the construction zone.
- Storm sewer and paving work continues on the residential streets in the Mary Street neighbourhood: Holt Place, Georgina Bay and Nipigon Avenue.
- Brown Street from Brock Street to Walsh Street is slated for road reconstruction with new sewers and watermains. The curb and gutter will be replaced along with sections of sidewalks. The road will be open to local traffic, but closed during some of the deeper excavation work.
- Woodlawn Avenue, Ironwood Avenue, Edward Street and Kensington Drive will be closed to local traffic for installation of new storm sewers and replacement of existing watermains. The roads will be reconstructed complete with new curbs and gutters.
- Storm sewer construction in the Syndicate Avenue/Durban Street area is expected to proceed in July. Local access only with possible driveway disruption. The project will include detouring of traffic on Northern Avenue.
Road, Street Lighting & Sidewalk Improvements
- The next stage of the Golf Links Road project has commenced. The project includes new active transportation corridor development. Road construction and lane widening will take place between Linden Court and John Street. Golf Links Road will be closed to through traffic, and detours posted via Oliver Road/John Street and Balmoral Street. The Thunder Bay Regional Health Science Centre, businesses on Golf Links Road and the River Terrace residential subdivision will be accessible to local traffic via Oliver Road.
- Arthur Street between Waterloo Street and Edward Street may have periodic curb lane closures as remaining construction work is completed on driveways and boulevards.
- Edward Street from Victoria Avenue to Arthur Street is slated for lane widening, curb replacement and pavement resurfacing. Lane closures will occur as the work proceeds.
- Arundel Street Active Transportation Corridor: the bicycle lanes and multiuse trail on Arundel Street will be updated this year to include physical separation between vehicular traffic and walking/cycling traffic with the use of flexible bollards and paint line reconfiguration. Intermittent lane closures may be necessary.
- Road reconstruction and widening for multi-use lane is underway on Hudson Avenue between Huron Avenue and Toledo Street. Watch for road closures as the work proceeds.
- Road widening and reconstruction work is underway on Walnut Street / Tarbutt Street between Ford Street and the cul-de-sac on Tarbutt Street. Local access only. Some driveway disruption is expected.
- Road reconstruction work is underway on Pioneer Drive between Woodcrest Road and Nottingham Crescent. Watch for road closures as work proceeds. Some driveway disruption is expected.
- Broadway Avenue between Glenwood Crescent and Highway 61 is scheduled for pavement resurfacing. Watch for road closures with local access only as work proceeds.
- Whalen Street from River Street to the dead end will be closed to through traffic in order to complete top-lift paving.
- Residential paving is slated for Cherry Ridge Road, Montclair Street, Hallam Street, Crooks Street, Prince Arthur Blvd. and Collins Place.
- Road resurfacing at the intersection of Memorial Street and Ontario Street is expected to commence shortly. Watch for lane closures as the work proceeds.
- Road resurfacing at the intersection of James Street and Walsh Street is expected to commence shortly. Watch for road closure as the work proceeds.
- Replacement/rebuilding of traffic signals is expected to proceed at the intersection of James Street and Churchill Drive. Watch for lane closures and gravel trenches as work proceeds.
- Work on the guide rail on 15th Sideroad between Mountain Road and Highway 61 and on 25th Sideroad near West Riverdale Road will commence shortly. Watch for lane closures as the work proceeds.
- Reconstruction work at Arthur Street and Victoria Avenue rail crossings, located east of Waterloo Street will commence shortly. Watch for road closures and detours as the work proceeds.
- New & replacement sidewalk projects on Bay Street, sections of Humber Crescent and Mountdale Avenue are scheduled for this month. Local traffic only in the construction areas. Some driveway disruption is anticipated.
The above list includes major, traffic-affecting construction only. Other work, including sidewalk replacements and curb and gutter repairs, is scheduled for residential areas and other areas around the City. The schedule is subject to change.