THUNDER BAY — The Ministry of Transportation advises the motoring public of the following highways and road closures in the Thunder Bay area:
• Highway 588 at 590 Junction – westbound lane closed
• Highway 588 between Fern Road and Karila Road
• Highway 593 at 500 metres south of Highway 588 – north bound lane closed
• Highway 593 at 40 kilometres north of Highway 61 Junction
• Highway 595 at Hymers Village
• Highway 595 at 700 metres south of 608 Junction (South Gillies)
A number of roads within Local Roads Board (LRB) areas have been affected by recent rainfall as well. The following roads are closed:
• Delints Road – west of North Side Road
• Cedar Sites Road at Highway 588
• Palisades Road – west of Gabes Road, between Leeper Road and Highway 595
• Pakka Road
• Blaike Road
• Old School Road – closed from Highway 588 to First Road
• Mercantile Road – off Old Mill Road
• Old Mill Road – The Bridge over Whitefish River near Mercantile Lane is closed
The MTO states, “Safety is our top priority. Ministry staff and contractors have assessed the damage at each location and repairs are underway. We will continue to monitor water levels throughout the area and make necessary repairs. Additional details on estimated time for opening of the roads will be provided when they become available”.
Motorists are reminded to obey and follow all traffic signage and flag persons for the safety of both workers and drivers.
For the latest information on highway closures, the public can call 511, MTO’s Road Information Line or check www.ontario.ca/511.