THUNDER BAY – This weekend, Thunder Bay residents will take to the streets to mark the city’s fifth time participating in the annual Jane’s Walk Festival. Local volunteers have put together eight free neighbourhood walking tours that will inspire citizens to get to know their city and each other. Walks are held across the world during this weekend in celebration of Jane Jacobs’s birthday (May 4).
“Jane’s Walk is about connecting with neighbours and exploring a more holistic approach to neighbourhood safety and inclusion,” said Lee-Ann Chevrette, Coordinator of Thunder Bay’s Crime Prevention Council. “Jane Jacobs embraced the notion that the safest urban neighbourhoods are those with an active, diverse street life. Her approach to urban planning, which puts people first, makes Jane’s Walk a natural fit for the goals of Thunder Bay’s Crime Prevention Council. We all have common interests and concerns when it comes to safety, and we can make our community safer together.”
Jane’s Walk cultivates a broad understanding of how cities organically develop and thrive. It works to advance walkable neighbourhoods and promote Jacobs’ simple-yet-revolutionary idea that inclusive, mixed use neighbourhoods are the key to a healthy, safe and inclusive city.
Thunder Bay Walks
- Walking Westfort – Saturday, May 2, 10 am. Meet at Westfort Foods, 111 Frederica St. E.
- Vickers and Hyde Park – Saturday, May 2, 11:30 am. Meet at Vickers Park.
- Celebrate the Simpson/Ogden Neighbourhood with the Evergreen Walking Club – Saturday, May 2, 1 pm. Meet at Evergreen House, 139 Heron St.
- Windsor/Picton/Blucher Neighbourhood Stroll – Saturday, May 2, 3 pm. Meet at Unit 16, 288 Blucher Crescent.
- Mariday Park Playground Crawl – Sunday, May 3, 10 am. Meet at Carrick Park (Marlborough St.).
- The Alleys of Waverley – Sunday, May 3, 1 pm. Meet at Waverley Park Fountain.
- Out of the Dome – Senior’s Walk – Sunday, May 3, 2 pm. Meet at Sports Dome Parking Lot, 141 Northern Ave.
- Current River-Boulevard Lake – Sunday, May 3, 3 pm. Meet at Current River Community Centre, 450 Dewe Ave.
For more information about the walks, maps, and starting times visit www.janeswalk.org and type ‘Thunder Bay’. The Jane’s Walk Festival is also on social media, tweet: @janeswalk, hash tag: #jwalk, or Facebook: Jane’s Walk.