THUNDER BAY – CIVIC POLITICS – For over 26 years, I have worked to ensure Thunder Bay is a better place to live, work and play. My work with the Thunder Bay Chamber of Commerce, the Northwestern Ontario Associated Chambers of Commerce and the Ontario Chamber of Commerce has focused on supporting and assisting local businesses to grow and prosper.
With the help of great friends, I led the creation of the United Way Billboard Rescue, the Thunder Bay Blues Festival, and the Thunder Bay Marathon-Miles with the Giant to enhance our community profile and to support local charities.
Bluesfest and the Marathon draw tourists each year, and support local vendors in the purchase of supplies and services.
I am offering myself to serve our community as Councillor-at-Large for the coming term of City Council.
Thunder Bay has diversified over the past many years, and we need to focus our efforts to ensure we are competitive, can attract investment, and be a safe and healthy community to raise our families. I look forward to using my knowledge, experience and passion to lead, support and assist in guiding us to make the important decisions ahead.
My Main Priorities are:
- Fiscal responsibility – ensuring that your tax dollars are used effectively and efficiently;
- Economic development – increasing competitiveness and supporting the attraction of investment and growth of business opportunities;
- Crime reduction – supporting programs that address the root causes of crime to make our city safer for all; encouraging our community to come together to make this difference;
- Embracing diversity – acceptance and a deep understanding of our diversity is the key to strengthening our community, we are all in this together to ensure Thunder Bay is a welcoming place for everyone;
- Youth engagement – involving our youth in citywide activities by proactively developing and supporting programs cooperatively that can address their challenges and opportunities for the future.
In the coming weeks, I will provide more details on my viewpoints and ideas regarding these priority areas on my website: barrystreib.com
I look forward to hearing from the electorate on these topics, as I believe that the best decisions are made when all points of view are shared and discussed.