Thunder Bay Fire Rescue on the Job
THUNDER BAY – NEWS – Thunder Bay Fire Rescue was quick to respond to a call on Heron Street in the south side of the city today. Two pumper units were called out over a report of a fire at a residence.
The crews arrived on the scene within eight minutes of the call coming in. It was a small kitchen fire that was quickly handled.
Crews were able to get back to work after handling the incident.
Kitchen fires especially hot oil or grease can cause serious problems for homeowners.
Practical Home Safety
A fire’s very nature makes it unpredictable. Because no one can know when a fire will occur or what type of fire they will have in their home, Safeathome recommends having both photoelectric and ionization alarms for optimal protection against flaming and smoldering fires.
Ionization smoke alarms respond quickly to fast flaming fires, which generate a lot of heat but not necessarily a lot of smoke. Select an ionization smoke alarm for your home’s living and sleeping areas.
Photoelectric smoke alarms respond quickly to smoldering fires that produce a lot of smoke with less heat. These alarms are an excellent choice for near the kitchen area because they are less prone to nuisance alarms caused by cooking (burnt toast) or humidity (shower steam).
Dual Sensor Alarms combine both types of protection in a single alarm.
Knowing the difference between alarm technologies can help consumers to make an educated decision on alarm placement. However, regardless of technology, a home that does not have enough working smoke alarms is still under-protected.
It is vital that families have working smoke alarms on each storey, outside of sleeping areas and inside each bedroom if you sleep with doors closed. Replace all alarms over 10 years old – the same rule applies to battery operated alarms and hardwired alarms. Upgrade hardwired alarms to units that have a battery back-up in case of power outage. Families must also practise an escape plan, so they know what to do when the alarm sounds and have two possible routes of escape from each room.
Source: Safeathome.ca is a tips and information website developed to help protect Canadians from the dangers of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning (CO).
Safeathome.ca is utilized in grass-roots fire and carbon monoxide safety outreaches led by safety focused organizations such as the Canadian Association of Fire Chiefs, the Fire Marshal’s Public Fire Safety Council and Kidde Canada.