THUNDER BAY – Thunder Bay Fire Rescue has determined through an investigation into the cause of a fire which damaged an Empire Avenue home was the result of a malfunctioning appliance.
Thunder Bay Fire Rescue Investigation
On the afternoon of Tuesday, March 26, Thunder Bay Fire Rescue responded to a report of smoke coming from the roof of a home on Empire Avenue. They arrived to discover a working fire in the kitchen area of the home. The fire was quickly extinguished, but not before substantial fire, heat and smoke damage occurred. No one was home at the time of the fire and no one was injured during the extinguishment.
A subsequent fire investigation has determined this fire is a result of a malfunctioning refrigerator.
Fire Chief John Hay reinforced the importance of working smoke alarms “Had this fire occurred during the evening hours, it could have been deadly.”