THUNDER BAY – The City of Thunder Bay is on standby. The city was prepared to accept as many as six hundred Stage One flooding evacuees from Kashechewan and Fort Albany. However as reported earlier, that flooding evacuation has been halted.
There is an eye on the weather over the next twenty-four hours, with precipitation in the forecast for the area. Across the North weather conditions will be a factor. Wasaya Airways has issued a Travel Advisory today.
Wasaya Airways Travel Advisory – Friday May 9, 2014 We would like to advise all our passengers travelling today of possible delays, misconnects, and cancellations due to poor weather forecasted for Northwestern Ontario. Low visibility as a result of rain and drizzle is expected. If you have any questions regarding your travel today, please direct them to your Northern community agent or you can contact our Reservations department at 1-877-492-7292.
Easing of flood conditions on the Albany River in the James Bay area have allowed Kashechewan and Fort Albany First Nations to terminate their states of emergency, and Thunder Bay’s Emergency Operations Control Group (EOC) to go on standby.
The City of Thunder Bay on Thursday advised it was prepared to host up to 600 Stage 1 evacuees. Conditions on the Albany River have since improved, and Kashechewan and Fort Albany have both requested that all community members already evacuated be returned home.
“Conditions can change very quickly in these situations,” said Mayor Keith Hobbs. “We are pleased that Kashechewan and Fort Albany are no longer in immediate danger, and their community members will be returning home.
“There are other communities in the James Bay area that remain under flood watches, however,” Hobbs said. “We in Thunder Bay are prepared to help where necessary and possible.”
The EOC will remain on standby while the situation in the James Bay area is monitored by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Emergency Management Ontario.