Super Bowl – Super on Social Media

187
The Vince Lombardi Trophy is awarded to the NFL team that wins the Super Bowl Championship
The Vince Lombardi Trophy is awarded to the NFL team that wins the Super Bowl Championship

THUNDER BAY – Business – On Super Bowl Sunday, social media across Thunder Bay was alive with commentary that this year, the Super Bowl™ Ads were on local television channels. Some were praising a decision as they watched their Tbaytel Digital television. However the ads were available this year, in Canada on other networks.

The Super Bowl™, as a football game was a major blowout with the Seattle Seahawks taking out the Denver Broncos literally from the twelve second mark of the first quarter.

The Vince Lombardi Trophy is awarded to the NFL team that wins the Super Bowl Championship
The Vince Lombardi Trophy is awarded to the NFL team that wins the Super Bowl Championship

Super Bowl™ An Advertising Touchdown

However according to the ratings, the Super Bowl™ showed strong solid ratings. So, what lessons could a Thunder Bay business gain from the millions and millions of dollars spent on Super Sunday?

A new report from BrandAds notes that most of the information published around Super Bowl™ ads tends to focus on social media metrics, sentiment, and YouTube views.

In Thunder Bay with over 70,000 people on Facebook, and countless more on social media, the power of social media is one well worth consideration in choosing a means of boosting your business.

According to the study, insights reveal which brands ran the most effective Super Bowl™ ads based on actual brand lift, responding to the question: is the $4 million investment in a 30-second Superbowl spot really worth it?

83.9% of brands that purchased one or more Superbowl ads positively inuenced consumers’ likelihood to purchase their products or services. 16.1% of brands that purchased one or more Superbowl ads negatively inuenced consumers’ likelihood to purchase their products or services.

Hyundai took home the gold with a 39.5% brand lift followed by Budweiser who took the silver with a 37.8% brand lift and Jeep who took the bronze with a 36.1% increase in brand lift, says the report. There are also several companies who failed to capture the hearts and minds of consumers including Jaguar with a -31.7% brand lift as well asChevy, Chrysler and CarMax.

OBJECTIVE

BrandAds conducted a study to determine the effectiveness of the advertisements that aired during the television broadcast of the 2014 Super Bowl™.

METHODOLOGY

The study was conducted across Internet-connected devices via the proprietary software platform, BrandAds Bridge and included 37,440 participants from around the United States. Participants described how likely they were to purchase a product or service from a particular brand by choosing a single answer from 5 choices ranging from “very likely” to “very unlikely.” Surveys were completed by the control group prior to the airing of the Super Bowl™ and by the separate exposed group after they had watched the Super Bowl™.

FINDINGS

The percentage change in likelihood to purchase the advertised products and services, among the exposed group, ranged from -31.66% to 39.50%.