SIJHL Thunder Bay Northstars Playing Well
THUNDER BAY, Ont. – The Thunder Bay Northstars are in the top twenty of Canadian Junior Hockey. The SIJHL has two teams in the top rankings across Canada. The Canadian Junior Hockey League top 20 rankings for 2013 were announced Monday with a pair of Superior International Junior Hockey League clubs maintaining their place among the national elite.
Both the SIJHL-leading Fort Frances Lakers and second place Thunder Bay North Stars preserved the same CJHL listing they held a week ago, with Fort Frances remaining fifth overall while Thunder Bay was once again 13th in the rankings, which are compiled each week in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting.
With the SIJHL now at their holiday break the Lakers enter Christmas with an impressive 26-3-0-2 overall record and 54 points. That gives them a league-best winning percentage of .871.
The North Stars meanwhile boast an 18-6-1-3 mark with their 40 points tying them in the standings with the Minnesota Iron Rangers. Thunder Bay however is currently credited with being in second place by virtue of a better winning percentage (.714) due to the fact they hold two games in hand on Minnesota. (.667)
There was also no change this week among the top four clubs in the CJHL rankings with Spruce Grove, (AJHL) Carleton Place, (CCHL), Fort McMurray, (AJHL) and Sault Ste. Marie, (NOJHL) still holding down those spots respectively.
The following are the final CJHL top 20 rankings for 2013. The listings will return in 2014 starting on Jan. 6.
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) LAST WEEK)
1. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (1)
2. Carleton Place Canadiens (CCHL) (2)
3. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (3)
4. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (4)
5. Fort Frances Lakers (SIHL) (5)
6. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (6)
7. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (11)
8. Humboldt Broncos (SJHL) (9)
9. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (8)
10. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (7)
11. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (12)
12. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (10)
13. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (13)
14. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOHL) (14)
15. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (16)
16. Pembroke Lumber Kings (CCHL) (15)
17. Weeks Crushers (MHL) (17)
18. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (18)
19. Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL) (HM)
20. Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome (LHJAAAQ) (20)
Honourable Mention: West Kelowna Warriors (BCHL), Drumheller Dragons (AJHL), Kindersley Klippers (SJHL), Melville Millionaires (SJHL), Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.