South Sudan War Continues to Escalate

532
Civilians streaming into the UNMISS compound in Bor, capital of Jonglei state, South Sudan, seeking refuge from the violence. Photo: UNMISS/Hailemichael Gebrekrstos
Civilians streaming into the UNMISS compound in Bor, capital of Jonglei state, South Sudan, seeking refuge from the violence. Photo: UNMISS/Hailemichael Gebrekrstos
Civilians streaming into the UNMISS compound in Bor, capital of Jonglei state, South Sudan, seeking refuge from the violence. Photo: UNMISS/Hailemichael Gebrekrstos
Civilians streaming into the UNMISS compound in Bor, capital of Jonglei state, South Sudan, seeking refuge from the violence. Photo: UNMISS/Hailemichael Gebrekrstos

South Sudan Army Lost Capital

NEW YORK – United Nations – The escalating war in South Sudan started as an apparent “attempted coup”  that was targeted at President Salva Kiir. However the rebels deny it was anything of the sort. The ‘coup’ has now escalated into something that is now threatening all of South Sudan.

The army admits it has lost control of Bor, the capital of Jonglei state, to forces apparently led by General Peter Gadet.

Unknown assailants attacked a United Nations base in South Sudan today, possibly killing or injuring civilians who had sought refuge inside during violent clashes between Government forces and rebels, with the number of people fleeing to UN installations now reaching 35,000.

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he was “appalled” to learn of the attack on the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) base in Akobo and demanded that Government and opposition forces respect the rights of civilians and ensure their safety and security.

“UNMISS is doing everything it can, within its means and in a very fluid situation, to protect civilians, as well as United Nations and international personnel on the ground,” a statement issued by Mr. Ban’s spokesperson said. “There are indications that civilians may have been killed and wounded in the attack, but this remains to be verified. Should these reports prove true, those responsible must be held accountable for their crimes.”

At the time, 43 Indian peacekeepers, six UN police advisers and two UN civilian staffers were present at the base. About 30 South Sudanese had sought shelter from the turmoil plaguing areas of Akobo County, the Mission said in a statement.

Overall UNMISS has over 6,800 troops and police in the country, which gained independence after seceding from Sudan less than three years ago and has been thrown into turmoil since Sunday when, according to media reports, President Salva Kiir’s Government said soldiers loyal to former deputy president Riek Machar, dismissed in July, launched an attempted coup. Hundreds of people have been killed since then, according to reports.

“The future of this young nation requires its current leadership to do everything possible to prevent South Sudan descending into the chaos that would be such a betrayal of the ideals behind its long struggle for independence,” said Mr. Ban’s statement, issued only hours after Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson warned of the potential for even greater turmoil.

Previous articleChief Georjann Morriseau – A Year in Review on FWFN
Next articleNASA Satellite Captures Cyclone Amara
NetNewsledger.com or NNL offers news, information, opinions and positive ideas for Thunder Bay, Ontario, Northwestern Ontario and the world. NNL covers a large region of Ontario, but are also widely read around the country and the world. To reach us by email: newsroom@netnewsledger.com Reach the Newsroom: (807) 355-1862