The Paro Centre offers support and education
THUNDER BAY – Business – The Paro Centre is in the running for another award. The Thunder Bay based group that offers support and education for women seeking to succeed in business is a finalist in the Donnor Canadian Foundation Awards. Twenty-one non-profit social service agencies from across Canada are in the running for $60,000 prize money as finalists for the 16thannual Donner Canadian Foundation Awards for Excellence in the Delivery of Social Services. The Donner Canadian Foundation is dedicated to supporting projects that emphasize self-reliance, individual initiative, and independence. For more information, visit www.donnerfoundation.org
“These organizations are among of the best-run non-profits in Canada, and we’re pleased to celebrate the incredible work they do in their communities,” said Niels Veldhuis, Fraser Institute president.
“Even with budget constraints and limited resources, Canadian non-profits are making a profound difference in peoples’ lives. The Donner Awards ensure that exceptional non-profit organizations get the credit and recognition they deserve,” said Melissa Holoday, manager of the Donner Canadian Foundation Awards.
The Donner Awards are Canada’s largest recognition program for non-profit social service agencies, established in 1998 to encourage best practices in non- profit management and increase public confidence and support for Canada’s non-profit sector. The awards, administered by the Fraser Institute on behalf of the Donner Canadian Foundation, will be presented this fall. Additional information is available at www.donnerawards.org.
This year, 477 non-profit social service agencies from across Canada applied for the awards. Participating organizations are ranked on their performance in 10 key areas, including management and governance, the use of staff and volunteers, innovation, program costs, and outcome monitoring.
The top organization in each of seven categories of social service delivery will be awarded $5,000, while the $20,000 William H. Donner Award for Excellence will be presented to the highest performer overall.
In addition, the $5,000 Peter F. Drucker Award for Non-Profit Management will be presented to a non-profit organization with a consistent record of excellence and innovation in the management and delivery of services.
2013 Donner Awards Finalists (by category)
Counselling / Crisis Intervention
- Calgary Pregnancy Care Centre (Calgary, AB)
- Crisis Intervention & Suicide Prevention Centre Of BC (Vancouver, BC)
- London Crisis Pregnancy Centre (London, ON)
- Elephant Thoughts (Collingwood, ON)
- Girls Incorporated of Durham (Ajax, ON)
- PARO Centre for Women’s Enterprise (Thunder Bay, ON)
Prevention and Treatment of Substance Abuse
- Fresh Start Recovery Centre (Calgary, AB)
- Last Door Recovery Society (New Westminster, BC)
- Servants Anonymous Society of Calgary (Calgary, AB)
Provision of Basic Necessities
- Alice Housing (Dartmouth, NS)
- Manne Du Jour (Mont-Laurier, QC)
- Our Place Society (Victoria, BC)
Services for Children
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of North Simcoe (Midland, ON)
- Boys and Girls Club of London (London, ON)
- Educational Program Innovations Charity Society (North Sydney, NS)
Services for People with Disabilities
- Antigonish Seniors’ CARE Van Society (Antigonish, NS)
- Community Living Campbellford/Brighton (Campbellford, ON)
- Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada – Calgary and Area Chapter (Calgary, AB)
Services for Seniors
- Les Aînés De Jonquière (Jonquière, QC)
- Castor and District Housing Authority (Castor, AB)
- Eganville and District Seniors (Eganville, ON)