Lakehead University Thunderwolves getting tamed by the York Lions

thunderwolves vs lions Oct 12 2012
Faceoff as the Thunderwolves fought to climb back into the contest. Photo by Quinn Spyrka
thunderwolves vs lions Oct 12 2012
Faceoff as the Thunderwolves fought to climb back into the contest. Photo by Quinn Spyrka

THUNDER BAY – SPORTS – The Lakehead University Thunderwolves are getting set to take to the ice at Fort William Gardens in a bid to tame the York Lions. Last night the T-Wolves presented the large crowd of fans to a 7-3 drubbing of the Lions.

Tonight’s game coverage from will feature photographs by Destiny Linklater, Quinn Spryka, Hailey Morris, and the rest of the youth team helping with our hockey coverage this season.

First Period Action

The York Lions have taken to the ice, and are followed by the Thunderwolves to the loud howls of the crowd. Starting in net for the Thunderwolves is #31 Jeff Bosch.

The Lions came out fast in the first getting off a scoring chance, but were turned away. The Thunderwolves #57 Carson Dubchak was called for holding. York is looking sharper in the early going an after some serious puck control put the puck behind Bosch. Goal was scored by #7 Michael Lombardi assisted by #71 Jesse Messier, and #19 Troy Barss at 1:29.

Seconds later, at 2:23 of the period the Lions put another puck in the bucket #21 Jordan Davies assisted by #26 Evan Gravenor and #10 Brett Miller.

The York Lions are roaring tonight. On a smooth play the team has leapt out to a three nothing lead. The goal scored at 4:06 was put in the twine by #9 Mackenzie Micks unassisted.

The Thunderwolves are digging themselves a deep hole to climb out of so far this contest.

#22 Camerona McLean of the Lions was called for a penalty, giving the T-Wolves the chance to get in the contest. The Lions killed the penalty with the Wolves looking like they wanted to score but couldn’t quite put the handle on the puck.

The early lead by the Lions has Thunderwolves looking a little frustrated, the Wolves were called for tripping as #51 Danick Malouin was sent to the sin bin.

The Thunderwolves got a little of the look of last night with a break-away, and the Lions were called for holding.

Shots on goal midway throught the period are 2 shots by the Thunderwolves and 8 by the Lions.

#16 Chad Homann of the Lions got off a great shot that was glove-handed by the Thunderwolves netminder.

After regrouping behind the net, the Thunderwolves put on a skating and passing show that resulted in a great goal that brought the fans and team back into the game. The goal was scored by #25 Mike Hammond and assisted #84 Matt Caria and #97 Thomas Frazee at 10:53.

The Lions came right back however, with #27 Jordan Forfar assisted by #18 Mark Cross, putting the puck behind Jeff Bosch. The score with 6:25 left is 4-1 Lions leading.

#71 Jesse Messier for the Lions put another puck behind Bosch after the defence let him through. The Thunderwolves are making a change in goal and #1 Alex Dupris is back between the pipes. Almost immediately Dupris was tested, and turned away a point-blank shot.

The first period is winding down, one that the Thunderwolves will likely be happy to see end. They will get a chance to re-group. With 25 seconds left in the period, Dupris was tested again and stood up to the challenge.

Shots at the end of the First Period of action: Thunderwolves 5: York Lions 17.

Second Period Action

The second period is underway from the Fort William Gardens.

The Thunderwolves are coming out with more speed and aggression in the early minutes of the period. The team is digging for the puck a little more. If that work keeps up, there will be more scoring opportunities. The teams are mixing it up a lot more, and the referee has been willing to let the players play hockey.

The Thunderwolves re-grouped behind their net and rushed down the ice only to see #97 Thomas Frazee get called for tripping. The Lions were pressing but saw the Wolves take the puck down the ice for a two on one scoring attempt.

The Lions might have the man-advantage here, but the Thunderwolves are starting to howl. The fans were brought to their feet on a break-away attempt that led to a goal by Thomas Frazee as he came out of the penalty box. Time of the goal 7:48.

The break-away has brought the fans back into the game, and a group of fans are starting to try to get the wave going in the Gardens.

Through the halfway point of the game, the shots on net ar Lions 26, Thunderwolves 11.

The Thunderwolves got a breakaway in the Lion’s zone and as the defence caught up was pushed off the puck. It is perhaps starting to look like the Lions roar in the first might, just might have been lots of energy early. The Thunderwolves are coming on as the period continues.

Likely the next goal will be a major momentum decider.

#25 Dave Hammond of the Wolves has been mixing it up infront of the Lion’s net. The teams scrummed and then broke apart after a long debate. No penalties as the referee continues to let the teams decide the game.

With five minutes to play in the second period, the play is a little slower, almost as if the players are taking a little breather. The Wolves cleared the puck after an extended battle behind their net.

Play was stopped when #51 Danick Malouin caught a stick in the facial area. that let to #71 Jake Carrick jumping on the Lion’s player for a solid fight. The bout was easily won by Carrick, but the price at the penalty box will likely be fairly stiff.

Three minutes to go in the period, and the referees are sorting out what will be major penalties. York #7 gets two minutes for high sticking and another Lion gets two for roughing. #71 Carrick gets two for roughing and a ten minute misconduct and #51 Malouin gets two for roughing.

With 20 seconds left #71 for the Lions gets sent to the box for two minutes.

Shots on goal through two periods, Thunderwolves 16 and Lions 28. Score through two periods, Thunderwolves 2, Lions 5.

Third Period Action

Wolfie with friends
Thunderwolves mascot ‘Wolfie’ cheers up Hailey and Destiny during the intermission.

Fans during the second intermission are still confident that despite starting the period down by three goals that the Thunderwolves can comeback. The Wolves are starting on hte powerplay.

Those hopes may have been dashed early as with 18:47 left the Lions scored a short-handed goal. #28 Tyler McGee potted the short-handed marker at 1:23.

The Gardens are rather quiet, it will be up to the Wolves to bring the hopes of the fans back into tonight’s game. That goal is going to have to come sooner rather than later most likely.

That goal might have come with 15:14 left to play. The goal was scored by #84 Matt Caria and assisted #16 Trevor Gamache at 4:46.

The effort tonight to assist in the Flood Disaster Relief raised just over $6000 tonight.

With ten minutes left, the Wolves are setting up behind the net, for fans of hockey who are from the late 1960s or early 1970s that style of play was far more common. The Wolves are taking ten to twenty seconds behind the net to make line changes and set up the play.

Both teams were hit at 10:45 for a pair of minors, outting the teams at four men a side.

With just over five minutes left, and the Thunderwolves down by three, fans are sitting down and very few are headed to the barn. However it is likely that the York Lions have roared out fast to a split decision this weekend with the Thunderwolves.

Final Score York 6 Lakehead Thunderwolves 3.

2,778 fans are in attendance for tonight’s game.

Previous articleAmanda Todd – British Columbia Teen takes life after posting video online sharing her story of bullying
Next articleFort Frances Lakers topped the Thunder Bay North Stars 8-3 or NNL offers news, information, opinions and positive ideas for Thunder Bay, Ontario, Northwestern Ontario and the world. NNL covers a large region of Ontario, but are also widely read around the country and the world. To reach us by email: Reach the Newsroom: (807) 355-1862