THUNDER BAY – The City of Thunder Bay advises that road construction projects underway can result in road closures, detours and delays for drivers. You are asked to watch for signage and please drive with extra care in construction zones. Projects include road and sidewalk rehabilitation, sanitary and storm sewer and water main replacements, bridge work and streetlight renewal and are funded by the City’s Capital Budget with some additional funding in part through the Federal Gas Tax Program.
The following areas are scheduled for road and other major infrastructure work expected to affect traffic during the period from August 18, until September 15, 2011.
Temporary street closures will be in effect:
· Saturday, August 27 from 8 am to 5:30 pm, Frederica Street from 135 East Frederica to 218 West Frederica Street (including the intersections of Edward Street and Brown Street) will be closed to traffic for the Westfort Street Fair.
· Saturday, September 10, from 8 am to 5:30 pm, Victoria Avenue from Brodie Street to Simpson Street, May Street from south of Violet Street to north of George Street and Simpson Street from south of Miles Street to north of Donald Street will be closed for the Fort William Fall Street Festival.
Road Work Ahead: Sewer & Watermain Work
· Winnipeg Avenue from John Street to Inchiquin Street will be closed to local traffic to allow for reconstruction of the watermain complete with new curb and gutter and sidewalks where necessary.
· Wolseley Street from Court Street to Algoma Street will be closed for reconstruction of the watermain and sanitary sewer, complete with new curb and gutter and a full road restoration.
· McIntyre Street from Court Street to Algoma Street will be closed for the reconstruction of the watermain and sanitary sewer, complete with new curb and gutter and full road restoration.
· Cleaning and cement mortar lining of existing cast iron watermains is almost complete in Mariday Park. The area bound by Red River Road in the north, High Street in the east, John Street in the south and Rupert Street in the west is presently under construction with clean-up remaining. Please watch for traffic signage.
· Amelia Street from Tarbutt Street to Sprague Street will be closed from time to time to allow for top lift paving and driveway restoration.
· River Road from Marks Street to the dead end will be closed to through traffic to allow for servicing existing houses with a newly installed watermain. Parking restrictions and lane closures will occur.