Greater Sudbury Weather Advisory: Dense Fog on May 1, 2024

9024
The advisory, issued at 2:54 AM EST on Monday, February 5, 2024, specifically affects travel on Highways 105, 11, and 17.

Severe Fog Conditions Impacting Greater Sudbury This Morning

Greater Sudbury – WEATHER – Fog is going to impact the morning. Travel on areas highways including Highway 17 will be affected. Keep your defensive driving skills on full alert this morning, well heck keep them on at all times!

Today, the Greater Sudbury Region faces a foggy start to May 1, 2024, with a fog advisory currently in place. Dense fog conditions are expected to affect the area throughout the morning, significantly reducing visibility.

Today’s Weather Overview

Current Conditions

As recorded early this morning at Greater Sudbury Airport, the atmosphere is enveloped in fog with a temperature holding steady at 7.0°C. Humidity has reached saturation at 100%, and the barometric pressure is on the rise, currently at 101.3 kPa. Winds are mild, coming from the west at 9 km/h, but visibility is drastically reduced to just 0.6 km.

Expected Conditions

Today: The foggy conditions will gradually lift, but the region will remain under cloudy skies. Showers are expected to commence late this morning as winds shift to the south at 20 km/h. The day’s high is anticipated to be 12°C with a moderate UV index of 3.

Tonight: The showers will taper off by the evening, leaving mostly cloudy skies with a 30% chance of lingering showers or drizzle. Fog is likely to redevelop overnight. Temperatures will drop to a low of around 5°C.

Thursday, May 2: The day will continue mainly cloudy with a 30% chance of morning showers or drizzle. Fog patches will clear in the morning. Temperatures will reach a warmer high of 16°C, and the UV index will rise to 6, indicating a high level of UV radiation.

Night: Expect clear skies with an overnight low of 7°C.

Friday, May 3: A mix of sun and cloud dominates, with a 40% chance of showers and a high of 18°C. By night, conditions turn cloudier with a 60% chance of showers and a low of 9°C.

Wardrobe Recommendations

Given the unpredictable conditions, it’s advisable to wear versatile, waterproof outerwear and carry an umbrella. Layers are recommended, as temperatures will vary throughout the day and into the evening.

Weather Trivia

Fog forms when the air temperature cools to the dew point and becomes fully saturated. This can often happen rapidly, especially near water bodies or in areas with moist air flows, as is typical in the Sudbury region.

Previous articleAbcourt Announces Private Placement Extension and Results of the Special Meeting of Shareholders
Next articleSault Ste. Marie Weather Update: Cool and Misty Conditions on May 1, 2024