Trio Arrested Following Traffic Stop in Kenora: Drugs and Firearms Seized
Kenora, ON – An ordinary traffic stop quickly escalated into a significant drug and firearm bust on October 24, 2023, in the Minto area of Kenora. At around 12:45 pm, officers from the Kenora Detachment, the Community Street Crime Unit, and the Organized Crime Enforcement Bureau pulled over a vehicle following a weapons complaint. The ensuing investigation led to the discovery and seizure of suspected cocaine.
A subsequent search warrant executed at a local residence further unearthed a sawed-off shotgun along with ammunition, leading to the arrest and charging of three individuals under the Criminal Code.
Aaron Paypomppee, a 34-year-old resident of Kenora, faces the following charges:
- Possession of a Schedule I Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Cocaine: This charge pertains to the possession of drugs like cocaine with the intent to sell or distribute.
- Possession of Firearm or Ammunition contrary to Prohibition Order (two counts): These charges are levied against individuals prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition due to previous convictions or court orders.
- Careless Storage of Firearm, Weapon, Prohibited Device or Ammunition: This charge is concerned with the unsafe or negligent storage of firearms and ammunition.
- Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm: This implies possessing firearms without the necessary licenses or authorizations.
- Possession of Prohibited Device or Ammunition for Dangerous Purpose: This charge involves possessing devices or ammunition intended for dangerous or harmful use.
Glendon Loranger, 66, also from Kenora, faces similar charges, minus the count of possession contrary to a prohibition order.
Shayde Desrosiers, 30, from Northwest Angle No. 33, was arrested and charged with:
- Possession of a Schedule I Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Cocaine.
While Paypomppee and Loranger are being held in custody for a court appearance on October 24, 2023, Desrosiers was released and is scheduled for a court appearance on November 30, 2023.
Public Assistance Request
The OPP is urging anyone with information regarding illegal possession and drug trafficking to come forward and contact them at 1-888-310-1122. Alternatively, for those wishing to remain anonymous, tips can be provided to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).