DRYDEN – Weather alerts have been issued for western and northern Ontario.
Environment Canada says there is the potential for significant rain on Sunday that likely will be followed by strong winds.
At task is the Alberta Clipper that is headed to Manitoba.
The weather service says that a low-pressure system arriving Sunday from Manitoba will give periods of heavy rain to the regions then a cold front will sweep eastward Sunday night. Specific rainfall amounts are uncertain however 20 to 40 millimetres of rain is possible. Strong winds will be associated with the cold front and continued gusty winds due to the arrival of cooler air may be up to 80 kilometres per hour Sunday night or early Monday morning. Wind warnings may be issued for this event and power outages are possible.
Special weather statement in effect for:
- Dryden – Vermilion Bay
- Ear Falls – Perrault Falls – Western Lac Seul
- Red Lake – Woodland Caribou Park
- Kenora – Grassy Narrows – Whitedog
- Sioux Narrows – Nestor Falls – Morson
- Savant Lake – Sturgeon Lake
- Sioux Lookout – Eastern Lac Seul