Great Work by Thunder Bay Police Service K9 Unit on Thursday Morning

TBPS Unit 260

K9 Unit Called Out into Action Three Times in One Night

THUNDER BAY – NEWS – The Thunder Bay Police Service’s K9 Unit was dispatched to three separate incidents involving people believed to be in extreme medical distress on Thursday, July 16, 2020.

Police report that all three calls were mental-health related and were reported between the hours of 2:15 am and 4:20 am. In all three incidents there was a serious concern for the immediate safety of the people involved and locating them quickly was potentially critical for a positive outcome.

The Thunder Bay Police Service’s K9 Unit is made up of Cst. Josh Berube and his canine partner Lucek.

The pair were dispatched to the first incident in the 1000 block of Dawson Road just after 2 am EDT on Thursday, July 16.

The K9 Unit was dispatched to locate a male in distress. He had reportedly fled to that area for the purpose of self-harm.

Police acquired a track and located an item believed to be connected to this call for service. The track continued through heavy rainfall into an open lot and then a bush. As police progressed, following 47-minutes of searching, the male was located by officers.

The man was transported to the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre for further medical assessment.

At about 3:45 am EDT, almost immediately after the incident near Dawson Road, Cst. Berube and partner Lucek were dispatched to an ongoing Mental Health Act call for service in the area of Golf Links Road and Windsor Street.

Police learned an intoxicated male in distress had left an address in that area and was believed to be suicidal.

After a 14-minute search, the K9 unit was able to locate the individual several blocks away. The male was barefoot and soaking wet but appeared unharmed. He was transported to the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre for further medical assessment.

The K9 Unit was dispatched to the third call for service just before 4:30 am in the area of South High Street. Police were called after a suicidal female was reported as missing.

The hour-long search led officers through streets, fields, and bike trails to home nearly two-kilometres away where the female was located and her well-being was confirmed.

Previous articlePolice Seize Cocaine and Charge Four People in Clarkson Street Drug Bust
Next articleUpdate on COVID-19 in Indigenous communities or NNL offers news, information, opinions and positive ideas for Thunder Bay, Ontario, Northwestern Ontario and the world. NNL covers a large region of Ontario, but are also widely read around the country and the world. To reach us by email: Reach the Newsroom: (807) 355-1862