THUNDER BAY – Fortunately there were no injuries as a result of a fire at a Lillie Street senior’s care building on Monday afternoon.
At 1643 hrs Thunder Bay Fire Rescue was dispatched to the 300 North block of Lillie St for an automatic fire alarm. The first truck on scene reported smoke coming from the alpha side 1st floor of a multi-storey advanced care facility. A second alarm was called at this point. The source of the smoke was determined to be coming from an exterior wall and the siding was removed to gain access. The fire was confined to exterior foam insulation and was quickly extinguished.
Smoke had been drawn into the two adjacent structures.
Due to the highly vulnerable residents, multiple crews with positive pressure ventilation worked quickly to remove it.
Multiple cigarette butts were found in the vicinity of the origin of the fire, and Thunder Bay Fire Rescue would like to remind citizens of the importance of properly discarding smoking materials.
A total of five pumpers, a command unit and an aerial ladder responded to this incident and were engaged with fire fighting duties for approximately three hours.