DRYDEN – The Dryden Police Service would like to report recent Bear sightings in the City of Dryden over the weekend. It is the time of year when our community will see an increase of bear sightings. Here are some tips that will help when you see a bear.
Remove Bear Attractants
When bears pick up a scent with their keen noses, they will investigate it. If they find bird food, garbage or pet food they will return as long as the food source is available.
Bear Emergencies – Call 911 or your local police, if you feel a bear poses an immediate threat to personal safety and:
• enters a school yard when school is in session
• enters or tries to enter a residence
• wanders into a public gathering
• kills livestock/pets and lingers at the site
• stalks people and lingers at the site
Generally, bears want to avoid humans. Most encounters are not aggressive and attacks are rare.
Call the Bear Wise reporting line 1-866-514-2327 or your local MNRD District Office if a bear is:
• roaming around, checking garbage cans
• breaking into a shed where garbage or food is stored
• in a tree
• pulling down a bird feeder or knocking over a barbecue
• moving through a backyard or field but is not lingering