THUNDER BAY – NEWS – A tenant of a Balsam Street apartment building was found guilty in Provincial Offences Court for disabling a smoke alarm in her suite, and as a result, was fined $360. The charge stems from a December 2018 incident.
“Only working smoke alarms can give you the early warning you need to escape a fire,” said Fire Chief John Hay. “Smoke alarm violations will result in a ticket with a set fine of $360 or a Part 3 charge with a fine of up to $50,000 for individuals and $100,000 for corporations.”
Thunder Bay Fire Rescue reminds residents that it is the law to have working smoke alarms on every level of your home and outside all sleeping areas. Carbon Monoxide alarms are required to be installed outside any sleeping area if your home has a fuel-fired appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage. For more information, residents are encouraged to visit: www.thunderbay.ca/fire.