Carbon Monoxide Alarm Saves Residents

470
Carbon Monoxide
Having your boiler and furnace checked annually and having working Carbon Monoxide Monitors is Important

Carbon Monoxide
Having your boiler and furnace checked annually and having working Carbon Monoxide Monitors is Important

THUNDER BAY – Thunder Bay Fire Rescue Service received an alarm to a residence on the 100 block of Winnipeg Ave for a carbon monoxide alarm sounding. The call was soon upgraded to a possible natural gas leak. Three pumpers responded with 13 firefighters.

The first arriving unit investigated finding a carbon monoxide (CO) level of 961 parts per million (ppm) in the home. Readings also showed the presence of natural gas. The CO level considered acceptable for short-term exposure is 9 ppm and under.

Residents were already safely out of the structure. The natural gas supply to the home was shut off. Union Gas attended the scene. The home was cleared of the carbon monoxide and natural gas and an investigation began to determine the source of the toxic gas.

A faulty water boiler was identified. The scene was left with Union Gas to work with the homeowner to rectify the situation. The residents of the home were checked for carbon monoxide in their blood. No presence was found.

All members of the Thunder Bay Fire Rescue Service encourage homeowners and property managers to ensure the presence of working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in their properties. It has been proven time and again that smoke and carbon monoxide detectors save lives. Just as in this hazardous situation where occupants were alerted to their lives being in danger by the presence of an odourless toxic gas.