THUNDER BAY = NEWS – While the Ontario Civilian Police Commission (OCPC) expected to receive Senator Murray Sinclair’s investigative report on August 31, 2018, the Senator has indicated that an extension will be required. The OCPC expects to receive the report by the fall.
Once the report is received, the OCPC will consider its findings and determine next steps. The report will be formatted and translated, with an anticipated public release by the end of the year.
Further details will be released in October.
- The OCPC launched an investigation into the Thunder Bay Police Services board due to serious concerns about the state of civilian police oversight and public confidence in the delivery of police services in Thunder Bay. For more information on the investigation, please see OCPC’s press release of July 24, 2017.
- On November 3rd, the OCPC publicly released an interim report to the investigation. The interim report can be accessed here.
- The OCPC investigation is not punitive and not directed to any specific conduct issues. Ultimately, there is a public interest in ensuring that the Board is meeting its obligations.
The OCPC is an independent, quasi-judicial agency. It is one of five tribunals in the Safety, Licensing Appeals and Standards Tribunals Ontario cluster.
- The OCPC has a broad mandate, including ensuring that police service boards are providing sufficient oversight of police services in a manner that ensures adequate and effective police services in the community and that maintains public confidence in the delivery of policing.
- The OIPRD is an independent, arms-length agency that works to identify and offer solutions to systemic or ongoing issues within police services and is responsible for performing audits to ensure the complaints system is being administered effectively. It is also responsible for administering public complaints about police in Ontario.
- Safety, Licensing Appeals and Standards Tribunals Ontario
- Office of the Independent Police Review Director
- Press Release: OCPC Appoints Investigator (July 24, 2017)
- Press Release: OCPC’s Investigation into TPSB: Interim Report (November 1, 2017)
- Interim Report of the Honourable Murray Sinclair submitted to the Executive Chair, Ontario Civilian Police Commission
- Bill 175, Safer Ontario Act, 2017
- OIPRD Systemic Review of the Thunder Bay Police Services’ Practices