THUNDER BAY – POLITICS – The Thunder Bay Chamber of Commerce released the “City of Opportunity” platform for the upcoming municipal election. The platform outlines three pillars of a strong, resilient community and includes ten recommended actions that are needed to support the development of opportunities for everyone in the community of Thunder Bay.
The “City of Opportunity” platform was developed through consultation with nearly 200 business and charitable organizations that identified several factors that are limiting the city’s ability to provide an opportunity for its citizens. To become a City of Opportunity for everyone, we need our Candidates and the next Council to support a “culture of yes”. The City of Opportunity platform calls for:
The City of Opportunity platform calls for:
Visionary Leadership through commitments to:
- Fostering community outreach, consultation, and collaboration,
- Providing fiscal transparency and a costing analysis of individual city services,
- Enacting financial goals and accountability, and
- Developing a road-map for Thunder Bay.
Economic Opportunity through commitments to:
- Reducing red tape and modernizing planning,
- Developing service standards, and
- Developing a long-term plan.
Quality of Life through commitments to:
- Working with stakeholder groups to develop long-term strategies for addressing homelessness, addiction, mental illness, and crime,
- Reforming by-laws in support of sustainable neighbourhoods, and
- Building a culture of respect and diversity.
“We are asking all Candidates for City Council to say “yes” to our City of Opportunity platform,” says Charla Robinson, President of the Thunder Bay Chamber of Commerce. “We believe that by adopting the pillars of visionary leadership, economic opportunity, and quality of life and implementing these 10 recommended actions, our next Council can build a City of Opportunity for everyone.”
Read the City of Opportunity platform at www.tbchamber.ca/SayYes