DRYDEN – An incident in Dryden this past weekend has resulted in a further investigation by the Special Investigations Unit.
- At approximately 1:45 p.m. on February 3, 2018, Ontario Provincial Police officers with the Dryden detachment attempted to stop a vehicle traveling eastbound on Highway 17.
- The vehicle pulled off the highway and came to a stop outside a restaurant in Dryden.
- There was an interaction between the man and officers, and he was arrested.
- The man was taken to the detachment, and later to the hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.